Starting My Mini - Quick Question

A Carver

Looking to make the lower grate for the 10" cake pan that I plan on using in my (Walmart version) IMUSA pot. I plan on placing it clear at the bottom rim of the pot (bottom center cut out). I was going to try and cut down the ends of an old Smokey Joe cooking grate I had laying around (rusted enough I'd rather not use it for food) instead of using the 18" charcoal grate I see people using. Has anyone had experience cutting both open ends of a Smokey Joe cooking grate to make it fit? It looks like it might not even removing those two sections and thought I would ask you all before cutting it up.

Thanks!

I can't answer you question, but I did want to say have fun making your mini and welcome to the forum. Can't wait to see the final product

I can't answer you question, but I did want to say have fun making your mini and welcome to the forum. Can't wait to see the final product

Thanks! Went ahead and cut both ends of the old Smokey Joe cooking grate and it barely fit through the lower indent in the pot (took a little force) and now sits about a perfect 1/4" above the bottom of the pot (which I just cut out this morning).

Just wanted to make sure I answered my own question in case anyone else wants to attempt the same thing.

I did this on one of my early mini -wsms. Kept getting in the way when I wanted to overfill the charcoal basket so I pulled it out and haven't looked back. When I use a diffuser it just sits on the the steamer insert, or the insert is the diffuser. If I am using two rack, thee lower rack sits on the diffuser works just fine.

I've had mine for years and pretty much do what CaseT does. I don't use a diffuser much these days...just let the drippings drop on the fire. I do cook at 275 to 300 ..try it you might like it.

I just cut the bottom out leaving tabs that I bent to hold my diffuser (old non stick skillet, handle removed). Works well for me.

Back