Chicken for Comp...

Yeah, I know, but was hoping someone could change my mind to wingettes lol

I know the Thigh is common, just wanna know if I do Wingettes, would I get dinged?

As a CBJ, I'm supposed to judge what's presented to me, so I am not supposed to care if I get wingettes or thighs, I'm not supposed to ding you or reward you.

Now, judges are human and perhaps their antenna goes up when they see something other than thighs in the box. Is that a good thing for you as a competitor? Maybe. But I suspect there's a good reason so many teams turn in thighs again and again...they probably get the best results from that cut.

Good luck!

Also speaking as a CBJ, it is nice to see a cook who submits something different from the normal. However, when it comes to judging KCBS, there are no points for creativity.

If I could cook a wing and have it stay as moist as a thigh for 20 minutes in a styrofoam clamshell, then I would seriously consider turning it in. Turn in whatever you are able to cook the best, as Taste and Tenderness will propel you to the win, or send you to DAL

As a long-time KCBS competitor, I can assure you that the vast majority for teams are cooking and turning in thighs in the Chicken category. Thighs have a great balance between muscle and fat which helps to produce a very good product if cooked properly. That having been said, drumsticks have become more popular in recent years, especially when given the Lollipop treatment. (Any search engine will lead to you multiple videos on how to make them.) The white meat options, breasts and wings, will often accompany a dark meat entry but are rarely used alone. The simple truth is that even the most succulent and well-cooked piece of white meat will often pale in comparison to a well-cooked piece of dark meat.

If you are a new competitor, I would recommend that you learn how to cook really good thighs and/or drums before pinning your competitive hopes on the white meat options. (Unless, of course, you are required to turn in white meat.)

Back