Questions before I start

MichaelJF

TVWBB Member
I'm interested in putting together a HeaterMeter but I have a lot of questions so here goes.

1. I assume the kit on the HM store comes with one thermocoupler port and 3 thermistor. Can I get it with 2 thermocoupler and 1 thermistor like Auber sells it?

2. Are the thermistor probes good enough that doing the setup with 2 thermocouplers is unnecessary?

3. I haven't wrapped my head around the LinkMeter. Is it additional hardware? What functionality does it provide?

4. What are my best options for connecting the blower to my 22" WSM? The roto damper looks awesome but I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet.

5. Is my shopping list below missing anything necessary or nice to have?

HM store kit
Case
Probes
SD card

Thanks!

1. You can get a kit from the store with 4 thermistors or 3 thermistors, 1 thermocouple. Auber is the only board that has more than one thermocouple unless you add a second thermocouple board like the RDTC board.

2. I feel that thermistors are just fine for food probes. Thermocouples are great because I just leave mine in the grill and it doesn't matter if it is 900F in there, it is ok.

3. LinkMeter is what attaches to the HeaterMeter board to give it web access and everything else (the Pi, wifi, etc). HeaterMeter is just a standalone unit with a button and LCD without it.

1. You can get a kit from the store with 4 thermistors or 3 thermistors, 1 thermocouple. Auber is the only board that has more than one thermocouple unless you add a second thermocouple board like the RDTC board.

2. I feel that thermistors are just fine for food probes. Thermocouples are great because I just leave mine in the grill and it doesn't matter if it is 900F in there, it is ok.

3. LinkMeter is what attaches to the HeaterMeter board to give it web access and everything else (the Pi, wifi, etc). HeaterMeter is just a standalone unit with a button and LCD without it.

Thanks for the feedback, Bryan. I think I understand. The Pi model B option for the kit in your store is essentially the LinkMeter hardware. I'll post here again if I have some more questions.

I would also add that a lot of people are confused about which option is less expensive in the long run. Although the thermocouple board is more expensive, you save a bit when buying the Type-K thermocouple probe. And, like Bryan said, the thermocouple probes are a bit more durable than the thermistor probes. The only advantage I can see of using 4 thermistor ports is that you can use any probe in any port.

When I first got my HeaterMeter kit, I kicked myself a little bit for ordering the Thermocouple version because I had a bunch of Maverick probes laying around that I had intended to use until they went dead. After assembling my HM, i learned I needed to also buy a new probe. So I placed an order and waited. 3 months later, and let me tell you, order the thermocouple version and don't look back. Like Brian said, I leave mine in my grill and it can take the temp even when I'm running my Green Egg on a cleaning cycle (aka burning off the crud inside with a fire as hot as you can build, which can easily reach 900F, maybe more). Plus it withstands weather. Now part of me wishes I was using all thermocouple probes, but I haven't bothered with the add on board to accomplish that. All of my new thermoworks brand thermistor probes are working great, and I just remember to bring them inside with the HM after each cook.

Thanks for the additional feedback, guys. I ordered everything but a case last night. I went with the thermocouple version and picked up a thermocouple pit probe and a few food probes from ThermoWorks. I'm going to see if I can get a case printed locally.

Back