Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Brand New Damper Design - "The Micro Damper"

Just a heads up, looks like the wiring diagram here is not entirely correct. Specifically the female TRRS wiring, I ended up needing to do the following (using pin numbers on diagram)

1. Red Servo (5v, RJ45 pin 3, white-green)
    2. Red Fan (12v, RJ45 pin 5, white-blue
    3. Orange Servo (signal, RJ45 pin 6, green)
    4. Black Fan/Brown Server (Gnd, RJ45 pin 4, blue)

I verified the male wiring connection and everything lined up so maybe a difference in the part supplier for the female?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_H View Post
    Just a heads up, looks like the wiring diagram here is not entirely correct. Specifically the female TRRS wiring, I ended up needing to do the following (using pin numbers on diagram)

I verified the male wiring connection and everything lined up so maybe a difference in the part supplier for the female?
    Did you verify which cable type you have? I have a massive migraine, so tracking down what's wrong is not going to happen tonight. I've wired many MicroDampers following those instructions without fail though.
    Creator of the MicroDamper - first inline and linear damper
    Blackstone Posse :: KCBS Member

Yeah, Type B cable for sure. I wired the male end exactly as described in the doc so it really seems like the pinout on the female for my parts doesn't line up.

Not a big deal for me, just thought I'd post in case somebody else runs into it. Really satisfied with my purchase

TVWBB Member
    just wired mine the other day and used the normal wiring directions. maybe something was turned around?
    Kamado Joe Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_H View Post

It looks like you wired it exactly I how I explain (well I'm inferring because you mention pin 5 and 6 etc which don't exist). Don't know what your issue was...
    Last edited by SteveCK; 04-11-2017 at 12:41 PM.

For those having problems soldering the male TRRS connector wiring you may want to look into this.

3.5mm (1/8") Stereo TRRS Male Jack to AV 4-Screw Terminal Block Balun Connectors, PL-CN16-2
    Last edited by JerryH; 04-16-2017 at 08:53 AM.

There's a reason rj45 jacks are used for most data + power applications!

Yeah it's too bad a female RJ45 jack takes up about a 1/4 of the volume of a MicroDamper. The TRRS jack is a good solution, nice and easy to use too. There's a reason temperature probes use a very similar jack

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCK View Post
    Perhaps I should do a video on the assembly. I don't think it's very difficult, but perhaps it'll help some of you
    This is a great idea. Personally, I didn't have any trouble with the wiring itself. Its the insulation that is near impossible and has caused headaches. Attempting to solder around the shrink wrap on the male TRRS is a fools errand, if your attempting to wrap each pole individually. I'd love to see it done. I ended up cutting small strips of electrical tape. and wrapping each pole under a magnifying glass. Not easy. I found that if not doing this, every time the cord was touched or bent, it through a short and rebooted my HeaterMeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Herbert View Post
    Attempting to solder around the shrink wrap on the male TRRS is a fools errand, if your attempting to wrap each pole individually.
    I haven't had any problems with this. Are you using an appropriately sized soldering tip? You should use the same one that should be used to solder the HeaterMeter; one that comes to a sharp tip.

I'll have to find a tripod and everything, I'm not setup for taking youtube videos - never made one before. I will get a video done eventually though!

Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast