Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Brand New Damper Design - "The Micro Damper"

Got the new fan today, Delta ASB0412VHA-AF00 rated at 9.5CFM and 6.3mmAq. I also bought the BBQGuru adapter for my Akorn, plan on testing with the older fan soon as well. I don't think the Akorn will require as much pressure to function well, so we'll see how it works with the older fan. I installed the new fan in the MicroDamper and decided to cook a butt overnight. It started out looking good, a little too good. At around 20:15 I had to dial down the fan output because it was a bit much. Here is how it looks so far, hopefully everything stays good overnight:
    Creator of the MicroDamper - first inline and linear damper
    Blackstone Posse :: KCBS Member

TVWBB Wizard
    That looks much better. Where did you settle on the fan max speed. From all my years of using a blower on my UDS, 8.4cfm seems to be the magic amount of air into the smoker.

John I dialed it down to 75%, which is roughly 7.1CFM. You can see in the graph it did pretty well until when the ambient temp started to drop. I began the cook at about 78-80 and it dipped down to 53 according to my home's outdoor thermometer. Now I'll know roughly how much to boost the fan according to the air temp. Not sure why I have those blips in the middle, but it worked itself out. I woke up just in time as you can see the coals dying off at the end. This run was never intended to be a cook, just another test so I didn't fill my basket like I normally would. Not a problem though, I put the butt in a foil pan, poured a little Dr Pepper in it, covered it and threw it in the oven @215. Should be good by the time I get home a bit later. Overall I'm pretty happy with the performance. BPID: 0,9,0.008,4. Here are some pics:

Last edited by SteveCK; 09-19-2015 at 07:28 AM.

Let me know if you need anymore testing stateside! I'm in the market of choosing a fan damper design and like what you have to say about your design.

RWilloughby, you are in luck I have a spare one. PM sent!

TVWBB Member
    I too would like to test this out. I don't need a freebie, I'm willing pay for it, including shipping. Let me know if you can, I'm in Illinois.

Just built my first hetermeater, and this looks like a perfect choice.

TVWBB Fan
    Anything left for a soldier stationed in Europe?

PMs sent. You, soldier, have officially taken the last prototype.

Update on Kamado testing using the cheaper Bi-Sonic fan... I've run a couple low slow tests, so far it looks like this setup should work just fine. Playing around with some PID settings and fan speed settings to get it dialed in. The real test is going to be if this fan can achieve high heat.
    Last edited by SteveCK; 09-19-2015 at 02:26 PM.

It'll be good to see how this holds up during the rain and freezing winter temps.

I did some more testing today on the Akorn. I ran 4 tests today and couldn't get it dialed in. The results I was getting from small changes to the PID didnt seem to make sense. Turns out all day i had been running tests with the servo orientations setup for a prototype MicroDamper I had shipped to someone. Facepalm! So today was a total waste!

I noticed today (thanks to this forum) that Walmart is starting to discount their 14.5 WSM, so if my local one drops it to $100, I'll pick one up and getting playing with that as well.
    Last edited by SteveCK; 09-20-2015 at 03:32 PM.

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast