Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Brand New Damper Design - "The Micro Damper"

I'll take a micro damper to test for you if any left!

PM sent...!
    Creator of the MicroDamper - first inline and linear damper
    Blackstone Posse :: KCBS Member

TVWBB Member
    I would be interested if there are any left, looks like a great idea!

PMing you now. You got the last one, and surprisingly the only person in the states

I'd say it's looking pretty good so far on the first run. What do you think? I've got it running on my UDS, using a 1" iron pipe nipple, filled the basket about 1/3 of the way and tossed on 24 lit briquettes to get it started. I'm running it with no meat, but with a 9x13 pan filled with water.

The fan is running on the higher end, so a fan spec'd with a higher pressure would help out with that.

TVWBB Wizard
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCK View Post
    Thanks Bryan, I'll be doing some testing real soon. I'm hoping to be able to run a cheaper fan with the lower pressure (which I have on hand) to keep the cost down as much as possible. But in reality its only $2 more to get a fan that over doubles the bfb0512vhd fan and provides a higher CFM output. Every dollar counts. Despite what Steve_M said above, my largest gripe about this whole HeaterMeter project was the "hidden" costs of a blower/damper unit. Between a case and the damper (and parts associated with that) it's a good chunk of change relative to the electronics. Let me know if you want one Bryan, if anyone deserves a free damper it's you.

Just last night I was looking at incorporating an ethernet jack. It kind of goes against my goal for the project as far as keeping costs to a minimal (a jack adds another $2.50 or so plus additional print time and plastic) and maintaining a more eye-pleasing symmetrical aesthetic.

I will be testing on a UDS, I also have an Akorn but haven't done any smoking on that and I haven't built a plate to attach to the intake. I should probably get on that though because it would be hella-easier to run tests on that compared to a UDS. I just love the smokiness I can achieve with my UDS.
    As long as it's at least 8.4cfm it should work, anything less don't bother

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCK View Post
    I'd say it's looking pretty good so far on the first run. What do you think? I've got it running on my UDS, using a 1" iron pipe nipple, filled the basket about 1/3 of the way and tossed on 24 lit briquettes to get it started. I'm running it with no meat, but with a 9x13 pan filled with water.

The fan is running on the higher end, so a fan spec'd with a higher pressure would help out with that.

Looks great. What settings all around?

Quote Originally Posted by Seth R C View Post
    I'll post what I used when I get home later today since I don't remember off hand. It was going pretty good (+-2.5 or so) for about 3 hours after this screen shot and then unfortunately my temperatures started to drop. I thought it was very strange, but I let it run through the night because I didn't want to interrupt it and I wanted to see if it would come back it. I opened the UDS this morning and found the problem. Turns out my water pan developed a pinhole! That's what I get for reusing those flimsy disposable aluminum pans. I'll try to get another test going tonight if I can.

TVWBB Wizard
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth R C View Post
    As you can see in your picture, the fan is already getting a work out. If you wanted to go higher then 225, you wouldn't be able to and depending on your location, if your winters are cold, the fan won't be able to get up to temperature or if it's at temperature won't be able to control the UDS for any length of time.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bostwick View Post
    As you can see in your picture, the fan is already getting a work out. If you wanted to go higher then 225, you wouldn't be able to and depending on your location, if your winters are cold, the fan won't be able to get up to temperature or if it's at temperature won't be able to control the UDS for any length of time.
    Which is why I alluded to specing out a different fan. I ordered one last night from Mouser, I should be getting it Friday and hopefully testing it this weekend. I'm sure the current fan will work much better on my akorn once I get to that.

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast