Thermoworks probes on sale!!!

Thermoworks Pro series probes, the ones that are paired with their Chef Alarm product, are the ones that work with the HM. Thermoworks also makes excellent type k thermocouples.
The link above goes right to the TW Pro Series probes, if you bought any of those listed there you are good. They are great probes at a great price.

Are there instructions on how to calibrate these Thermoworks probes with HM? I am not getting accurate temperatures from the pit probe or meat probes.

There is a preset in the HM config for the Thermoworks Pro probes. Under each probe you will see Preset, click the down arrow and select TX-1001X-OP. There should be no calibration needed beyond that.

There is a preset in the HM config for the Thermoworks Pro probes. Under each probe you will see Preset, click the down arrow and select TX-1001X-OP. There should be no calibration needed beyond that.

I have both the a TX-1003X and TX-1004X, I haven't used them with HM yet, but i've tested their resistance at different temps and they are different....so the defaults won't work for my probes, and each will need different values. Does anyone have 'good' values for the 1003x and 1004x that they have used with HM?

thanks....

The pro series probes are designed to work with the Chef Alarm system, though I've never owned a Chef Alarm I think it is a plug and play device? Meaning you shouldn't have to configure the probe type? I've used at least 3 types of pro series probes and none of them needed special calibration, so I am kinda confused by this scenario... Why don't you plug them into the HM and see how they read?

I appreciate the help but have found no such preset. I am running HM 4.2.4. I have looked through the HM menu and the code on the SD card.

Go to the HM CONFIG PAGE (load web interface, click CONFIGURATION, Log in). Under each probe you will see Probe Coefficients, under that you will see PRESET. Click the down arrow, select TX-1001X-OP. That is the preset for the Thermoworks Pro Probes (all of the pro series probes use the same preset)

I asked my gf to get me another air probe for Xmas, but also requested the 12" straight thermometer.

I am now regretting that decision ----- the damn thing is HUGE!!!!! It's not worth sending back, so I guess I'll just have to find something for which the 12" model is appropriate. I'm thinking one of those giant pork loins that Costco sells for pretty cheap. I've been wanting to make Canadian bacon recently.

That doesn't make any sense at all. What do you mean "it wont work"?

How are you plugging it in, and what readouts are you getting, if any?

Readouts go in and out, and the temperature fluctuates constantly. Mavericks are consistent and work good.

I have built about a half dozen HM's and haven't had that experience with any of them. The Thermoworks probes work great on all of them, so you must either have something wrong with your HM build or have gotten a bad Thermoworks probe.

Readouts go in and out, and the temperature fluctuates constantly. Mavericks are consistent and work good.

I had the same issue previously. I purchased 2 probes, and 1 was bad out of the box. Readings would climb to 500, then cut off, then go to temp, then fluctuate rapidly between temp and 800 degrees. The one that works is awesome, though. Built very well and has a quick response time. I guess the bad one just got by QA somehow.

I have heard from others that Thermoworks was good about taking care of QC issues, so if you think you have a bad probe you should contact them and I think they will make it right. I've never gotten a bad probe from them personally, I've bought over a dozen of various styles over the past few years... but I have heard others say they got bad probes and the replacements TW sent them worked well, so maybe they have a bad batch out there somewhere...

If your maverick probes are working consistently with your HM, and you have selected the preset for the TW probes and the TW probe doesnt work properly then I would contact them about it...

Side note, the TW probe jacks are a little larger (the plastic body part) than the Maverick probes, so make sure there isn't something with your rig that is physically preventing the larger TW jack from seating fully.

I have built about a half dozen HM's and haven't had that experience with any of them. The Thermoworks probes work great on all of them, so you must either have something wrong with your HM build or have gotten a bad Thermoworks probe.

I think it's some sort of problem with my HM. Seems like some sort of grounding issue. I can't figure it out. I have other thermoworks products and the probes work good.

I think it's some sort of problem with my HM. Seems like some sort of grounding issue. I can't figure it out. I have other thermoworks products and the probes work good.

That still doesn't sound right, as you should likely be seeing massive issues across the board with all probes, were it a grounding problem. Simply put, Thermoworks probes are pretty much THE best non-Thermocouple probes you can get for the HM. The problems you descibed that you say your Maverick doesnt have --- I think 99% of us have the opposite experience, in that the Mav probes fluctuate constantly and the Tworks are dialed in.

1. What version HeaterMeter board do you have?

2. What specific Tworks probes are you using?

3. Are you seeing noise on the probe lines? A small yellow or red "electrical" icon will appear next to the temp readouts on the main LinkMeter page with graphs. What are those noise values, if any?

I had the same issue previously. I purchased 2 probes, and 1 was bad out of the box. Readings would climb to 500, then cut off, then go to temp, then fluctuate rapidly between temp and 800 degrees. The one that works is awesome, though. Built very well and has a quick response time. I guess the bad one just got by QA somehow.

You say they would climb to 500.............................due to the temp actually being that? The probes have a max temp and 500F is it (aside from the high-temp air probe which can take 700F). Above those limits, the cabling starts melting from the inside and you're screwed.

In reality it sounds like a bad probe, but can easily be confirmed by comparing to a 2nd Tworks probe, assuming you have one. Temp probes are one of the most fail-prone electronics out there, and there's not much manufacturers can do to stop it.

Last edited:

Back