Heads Up

I was going to order me a new thermocouple probe since I screwed up my cheapo amazon one by pulling on the cord. Looks like only specific probes are on sale though. Good deal if you need them. I think I'm stocked up well enough.

I will go ahead and order me a thermocouple probe though. I was planning to order the High Temp Industrial Probe Model: 113-420/425 to use as my pit probe. Can anyone tell me what size mini connector I need? 1/16th or 1/8th?

The mini connector is always the same size, the dimensions refer to the diameter of the probe tip. I have one of these probes, although I'm not sure of the diameter, but it isn't very well suited for a pit probe because it is 7" long and costs $37.

I use the auber alligator clip version, which is only $14. They also have a 4" probe with a clip for $20.

This is a really good deal on the Chef Alarm probes though, which are excellent.

I was going to order me a new thermocouple probe since I screwed up my cheapo amazon one by pulling on the cord. Looks like only specific probes are on sale though. Good deal if you need them. I think I'm stocked up well enough.

I will go ahead and order me a thermocouple probe though. I was planning to order the High Temp Industrial Probe Model: 113-420/425 to use as my pit probe. Can anyone tell me what size mini connector I need? 1/16th or 1/8th?

The 1/8th and 1/16th is referring to the diameter of the probe, not the size of the connector. As far as I recall they offer the TC with a mini connector or with no connector at all...

I like the 1/16th diameter probe because it is thin enough to go between the lid gasket on a kamado and not screw up the seal.

Oh, duh, I should have known that was referencing probe diameter. Thanks for clearing that up.

I am tempted to say 7" won't be a problem for me, as I sometimes like to do like Ralph says and stick it through the lid seal, or hang it through the top vent of my Big Green Egg. Though I could see it being in the way when I mount it to the grill surface (which I normally do when i'm doing a low and slow cook).

The only thermocouple I saw listed for that cheap though was the wire probe ones. Which might work fine. Or the washer mounted one.

The probe is bendable, so you could bend an offset into it so it sits below your grill grate if you like. The cable itself is completely sealed from water/steam, but does not handle very high temps, so I always keep the cable and the threaded part of the probe out of the grill.

Back