Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The LinkMeter Snapshot and YOU

Using a web image only requires your laptop/phone/tablet to have internet access, as the web browser is making the call for the image, not the heatermeter. This has the added advantage of being able to use a very large, high res image and being able to download it from a fast site like imgur, google, flickr instead of trying to download it directly from the heatermeter when you're remotely monitoring things away from home.

TVWBB Diamond Member
    That makes no sense to me at all. If you upload an image to the SD card you never have to download it again, so the high res image is better suited this way than having to download it through an internet link.
    Like I said before, quite a few folks have a hard time making an image available on the internet, hence the comments you see here regularly "I can't seem to get my pics to show in the forum"... So that is another reason the internet hosted method is less desirable IMHO... and you can still you an image on flickr or whatever if you like, this would just be an easy mechanism for someone to click and select and image from their hard drive and place it on their SD card to be used as the background image.
    I created the Roto Damper, RD3, HMv4.2 sliding back case, "air-burner" and the "ping-pong" valve in my quest for delicious "set and forget" BBQ.

Hi Ralph,

I installed the snapshot. However when I try to set the "on above" or "startup max" settings, it does not save them. It looks like it doesnt seem to detect a change in these settings.
    Did I miss to update something?
    I did "flash new firmware image" with the link you provided.

Thx

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphTrimble View Post
    Since you've been delving more into the HM software development these days I thought I would ask, or suggest...
    Could you perhaps add a way to select and upload an image to the SD Card so users could customize their background easier? (without having to use PUTTY or whatever)
    I'm with Steve. Just put a URL in there. You have to download it to the device that's displaying the page anyway. What does it matter if it comes from the internet or the HeaterMeter? Using the HeaterMeter in AP mode versus connected to the internet is a much less common use case. I'd add this but it invokes feature creep because you need a way to upload it, the template needs to check for the presence of the file vs the standard, you'll need a way to remove it, people will want to make it not wrap / not repeat / etc and at that point you're just better off editing the usercss because things have gotten complicated. I'll put it on the todo list though to keep in mind.

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NickH82 View Post
    I installed the snapshot. However when I try to set the "on above" or "startup max" settings, it does not save them. It looks like it doesnt seem to detect a change in these settings.
    Did I miss to update something?
    Are the values filled in at all when you come into the page or are they blank? Also what is the HeaterMeter version on the bottom of the page?

TVWBB Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Mayland View Post
    I'm with Steve. Just put a URL in there. You have to download it to the device that's displaying the page anyway. What does it matter if it comes from the internet or the HeaterMeter? Using the HeaterMeter in AP mode versus connected to the internet is a much less common use case. I'd add this but it invokes feature creep because you need a way to upload it, the template needs to check for the presence of the file vs the standard, you'll need a way to remove it, people will want to make it not wrap / not repeat / etc and at that point you're just better off editing the usercss because things have gotten complicated. I'll put it on the todo list though to keep in mind.
    I am not asking to change the way the HM display is customized, the User CSS method is fine, great actually. You can save your custom code in a text file to share or paste in after your HM is reset or whatever. The only thing I am asking for is an easy way for the HM to upload an image to the SD Card to use as a background.
    What brought this idea to light (again) for me is all the snapshots I've been loading lately. My custom background image keeps getting wiped out and I have to load PUTTY to transfer it back to the SD card. I thought since some people have a hard time getting an image hosted on the internet, and have a hard time getting a program like PUTTY to connect to the HM to transfer the file and/or know where to put the file if they do. It would just be easier if you can click an "upload image" button and select an image from your hard drive to transfer to the SD Card.
    Last edited by RalphTrimble; 09-12-2015 at 10:45 AM.
    I created the Roto Damper, RD3, HMv4.2 sliding back case, "air-burner" and the "ping-pong" valve in my quest for delicious "set and forget" BBQ.

Email your background picture to upload@imgur.com and you will get a reply with a link to your newly uploaded photo.

Click on the link and then click on your picture and you'll see the proper link to the image ie: http://i.imgur.com/3XVnYkb.jpg

Now all you have to do is add/change 1 line in the User CSS:

Code:
    #backimage { background: url(http://i.imgur.com/3XVnYkb.jpg); }
    Since User CSS is backed up and restored as part of the config, if you're swapping between HM snapshots, you don't need to re-upload a new file to overwrite the fire.png that's on the HM.
    Last edited by Steve_M; 09-12-2015 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Mayland View Post
    Are the values filled in at all when you come into the page or are they blank? Also what is the HeaterMeter version on the bottom of the page?
    No they are blank.

HeaterMeter Information
    Version 20140630B

TVWBB Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
    Email your background picture to upload@imgur.com and you will get a reply with a link to your newly uploaded photo.

Click on the link and then click on your picture and you'll see the proper link to the image ie: http://i.imgur.com/3XVnYkb.jpg

Now all you have to do is add/change 1 line in the User CSS:

Code:
    #backimage { background: url(http://i.imgur.com/3XVnYkb.jpg); }
    Since User CSS is backed up and restored as part of the config, if you're swapping between HM snapshots, you don't need to re-upload a new file to overwrite the fire.png that's on the HM.
    That's a great solution... now if we can just make everyone that would attempt to do this in the future know this information universally that would work. But hardly anyone is going to know to do that...

I guess if the HM User CSS page had a button that would send the email and allow you to select the attachment and upload an image that would be training wheels enough to make it a universal solution. That is assuming the email functions of the HM are working, and the internet access etc.

Though I have a feeling a good number of people get their HM working and their HM Home Page loaded and never take the next couple steps to make the email and internet access work... and if you are cooking away from your home WIFi or using the HM in Access Point mode you wont have the internet connection to download the image on your tablet or whatever.

TBHWY I didn't think it was a big deal, it's just a simple suggestion for something that would make it easier for some people to customize their HM display page that I didn't think would take a mountain of programming to achieve.

I don't think you're giving people enough credit to perform these tasks. In terms of finding this information, it can easily be added to the heatermeter wiki. Being in IT for 20+ years, I can tell you, it doesn't matter how idiot proof you make something, there will always be a small portion of people that are unable to perform even the most basic tasks.

You don't need to configure any internet access on the heatermeter for the background image to be loaded through CSS. The heatermeter doesn't download it and send it to the web browser. The heatermeter sends the text of the CSS to the web browser and then the web browser fetches the image from the URL listed in the "#backimage" line. The only scenario this won't work is using the HM in AP mode, which I'm guessing almost nobody is doing.
    Last edited by Steve_M; 09-12-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast