Skool me on Squash, Please.

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
I need some help grilling squash.
I'm totally clueless.

I need to expand my grilling towards veggies & healthy.
All kinds of squash cooks.

Other veggie recipies also appreciated.

TIA

We've been doing this all summer.

Take a nice small zucchini and cut it into wedges (quarters or eighths, depending on size). Drop the wedges in a zipper bag. Pour in a little olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon zest. Smoosh the bag around and let it sit for a half hour or so. Grill over direct heat. Doesn't take long. They'll mark in 3 or 4 minutes. If you do each side 3 minutes or so, they'll be nicely done.

My wife just cuts them flat about 3/8 inch and grills them. I do like Jeff F's idea though and will have to try them that way. You should also try bell peppers, mushrooms and so many other veggies. They all taste great on the grill. Olive oil always works on most of them. Enjoy.

Not as healthy, but tasty
Cut in half lengthwise, scoop out some seed sections, oil, season, grill cut side down first, flip over and put cheese and maybe some crumbled bacon in the 'boats'
Cook until the cheese melts.

Take an acorn squash cut it in half and scoop out the seeds. Brush the inside with a little olive oil and grill direct medium heat with the cut side down until tender. Turn the squash over and add a little brown sugar or maple syrup and let the sugar melt and serve.

Take an acorn squash cut it in half and scoop out the seeds. Brush the inside with a little olive oil and grill direct medium heat with the cut side down until tender. Turn the squash over and add a little brown sugar or maple syrup and let the sugar melt and serve.

Love them like that in the oven...don't know why I've never thought to do it on the grill! Thanks, Rich!

Cut diagonally or slice across, brush with Olive Oil and add salt, pepper, some garlic powder, maybe onion powder if you're so inclined. Grill both sides until marked. I like to use one of those grilling baskets or sheets to stop suicides.

Another variation on the scooped out half squash is: After grilling face down, move to indirect heat, turn over and add your favorite homemade stuffing or stuffing mix, some cheese and a few pats of butter. Lets it set until heated through.

We use olive oil/salt/pepper/garlic on green beans, squash, asparagus, etc. I have heard Brussels Sprouts are good this way too, but haven't tried them yet.

Summer squash and zucchini get cut into disks or planks, and I like to salt them at least 30 minutes before grilling to draw out some of the water so they won't be as mushy. I do the same with tomatoes.

I cook acorn squash like Rich suggested, but instead of sugar or syrup I like to add a big chunk of salted butter. However, that probably isn't the healthiest option.;)

Brussels sprouts with sesame oil and garlic taste like Chinese food.

This works awesome with butternut as well. Little butter in there is nice too.

I do summer squash all the time the same way as posted above. I also did Hubbard squash cut in 3/8 slices but we did not care for it as much because it seemed like the sugar content was to high and it had that burnt sugar taste. But for $3.00 for the squash give it a whirl.

Thanks for the ideas everyone!!!

I'll be trying out your suggestions over the next few weeks.

Last edited:
For zucchini and yellow summer squash, we cut into planks brush with olive oil, sprinkle salt and pepper, and grill at high heat for about 2 minutes per side. That's enough to get some color on the surface, but still hold some firmness in the center.

Butternut squash can be done the same way, or peel, seed and cube, toss with olive oil (or melted butter) and salt/pepper on a baking sheet, and grill over low heat (otherwise it'll burn on the baking sheet), turning occasionally, until tender.

We love squash on the grill, the wife usually cuts them into cubes and some roma tomato's and then tosses them in some salt, pepper and Italian dressing and puts them in the fridge for a few hours. I will cook them over direct for a bit and then indirect and the come out great.

We love squash on the grill, the wife usually cuts them into cubes and some roma tomato's and then tosses them in some salt, pepper and Italian dressing and puts them in the fridge for a few hours. I will cook them over direct for a bit and then indirect and the come out great.

What kind of squash?
Thanks!

My kids of all people went bonkers for grilled squash many years back. I found I prefer to grill them without oil--Tuscan style of grilling dry veggies over coals and drizzling them on the plate with olive oil (flavored or not) or other simple sauces. Salt and pepper them in a big bowl or baking sheet before grilling. I usually do planks or thick diagonal/oval slices for zuchinni, yellow crookneck squash, summer squash. I do asparagus the same way. Salt and pepper "rub" and then grill until a tiny but crunchy--they keep cooking on the platter or bowl. Then drizzle on some oil. I buy some spendy olive oils where they acutally press citrus and things with the olives but you don't use much. You can use just about any other sauce to drizzle based on your health desires for sugar, fat, salt etc. I've used Teriaki with Splenda, Agrodolce, Oil/vinegar/red-pepper dressing. Go easy on the green goddess and heavier dressings. Fresh grated parmesan is bomb grated on to them. You can even skip the salt before the grill on most squash except eggplan IMO.

Also, you can grill squash/peppers in planks and larger pieces then cut into bite size to put into a mixed veggie dressed salad. Be careful with mixing hot bowl of squash barbecue it keeps cooking. I often grill, cool on sheet, cut it up and mix into a room-temp dressed salad--squash, roasted bell peppers, green chiles, corn tomatoes etc."boat" recommendation above before cubing them for skewers.

Summer squash, and Zuchini make great grilled "chips" for dipping but you have to keep them very firm. Great with hummus or dips with beans and chickpeas and such.

I've done a ton of grilled veggies including cauliflower etc so PM me if you want more. I have some health issues-don't we all--but I can't give up my ribs and pork shoulder. But I mix in more veggies and chicken now. Don't tell my wife I sneaked in that Fatty on with the smoked salmon last week :)

All good tips! My suggestion is with winter squash. After I cut it in half, I take a small slice off the back to make a flat area to lessen the rocking or tipping on the grate.

I need some help grilling squash.
I'm totally clueless.

I need to expand my grilling towards veggies & healthy.
All kinds of squash cooks.

Other veggie recipes also appreciated.

TIA

Last time I got some for soup I ate some raw....just a summer squash. Good Stuff! even just plain.

For veggies............ try beans, bean soup, refried beans (I know you didn't ask about beans but they're good). Veggie recipes - ..............what are you looking for?

I've been trying my hand at Pho lately......cheap/easy version using miso paste, ginger, onion, celery etc for the broth, then some noodles (I'm gonna try rice) & fresh herbs (basil & cilantro). I've only had it twice from restaurants, & before I tried making it myself I watched some youtube vids & other cookbooks for Chinese hot/sour soup - that's where I got the idea to use miso as the base.

Robert

I just tried this last weekend and it was a hit, used the grill grates on the gasser to get some grill marks and semi cook the squash. Also scored the squash before cooking.

First try not bad.

IMG_2504_zpsnmcflmt2.jpg

Then added the Acorn squash to the vortex chicken cook already in progress.

IMG_2510_zpszistjuxm.jpg

I was hungry after working on a free vintage bike my friend gave me.
Its one of my Hobbies, other than cooking.:george:

From this.

IMG_2492_zps0kn1d9x3.jpg

Too this, had some bike parts just waiting for this build.

IMG_2500_zpsuqwzswmw.jpg

IMG_2498_zpsuh4rzxtr.jpg

Ok back to squash and other people's recipes.

Last edited:
OT: Nice pics & video guys! Happy to see other people's interests. I had a group of several friends/family who all built up jeeps (no crawlers like that but still nice)...I enjoyed riding with them.

Back