Edimax

BGeisick

I just got another edimax wifi USB, but can't get it to work. It works fine on my desktop computer, but won't flash blue or connect when plugged into my heatermeter (4.1x). My other edimax from my first heatermeter build works fine in both boards. Any thoughts on what I should do to get the new edimax to work with my new heatermeter?

Did you go into the HM Config/Network/WiFi and select the new Edimax and hit SCAN, then connect to your network?

Model ew-7811Un

I walked through all of the steps on the wiki for setting up the wifi. Interestingly, the two spots in the instructions where it says to just move on after 15 seconds, the wait indicator stopped on its own. I'll try to scan again, but I have to connect through an Ethernet cord.

Well, yes, if the WiFi is not working you will have to connect via wired LAN cable (ethernet cord).

When you first build a HM the WiFi starts up in Access Point Mode. In this mode you can connect directly to the HM with a wireless device as though it were a WiFi HotSpot. At that point most people change the HM WiFi settings to Client Mode to connect to their home WiFi network.

Once you have changed your HM to Client Mode you can no longer connect directly to it with a Wireless Device. If you change the WiFi dongle on the HM it will remain in Client Mode (I'm pretty sure) and will most likely not connect to your home WiFi network because it is different hardware.

So connect with your LAN cable, go to HM/Config/Network/WiFi and SCAN for and connect to your network and then you should be able to pull the cord again...

I am not allowed to post pictures for some reason...

I still cannot get it to connect. I've taken a few screen shots, but found out that I can't actually post them.

When I go to network/wifi, I see two "radios", which I don't remember seeing on my other heatermeter. One is my home network the other has "openWRT" listed as the SSID and "master" listed as the mode. It is listed as disabled.

After scanning, selecting my network, and selecting save/apply this is my screen. (it matches the directions on the wiki, but I don't have to wait 15 seconds and move on... it acts as though it applies the changes) On the very top right of the screen it says in red "unsaved changes:1". When I click on it and hit save/apply it doesn't go away.

Unplugged the cat5 and tried to find wireless... It doesn't even look for a wireless connection; just two LAN connections.

Hrm there should be only one radio. Switching to client mode should replace the adapter not add another one. Sounds like there's some cruft in the config files for some reason and it's causing something to get confused. I'd suggest logging in over ssh (root@heatermeterip) and running `wifi-client networkname password` which will attempt to clear out the wireless configuration and set it to client mode.

If that doesn't work, I'd try a norestore fresh install
https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMe...utobackup#how-do-i-prevent-config-restoration

Back