Genesis 1000 Restoration

Jeremy Dobson

Picked up a 1000 Genesis for $40 off CL Flowood, MS. I think someone else looked at the same grill because of a previous post. It was not in good condition. Needs new burners, drip pan, catch pan, warming rack, thermometer, and grates are on their last leg. I disassembled the whole thing and sanded and ground down all rust. Then primed and painted. Previous owner painted fire box porcelain with the high heat paint. Used paint stripper and 0000 wool to remove it. It revealed many scratches on front of grill. Anyone know how to get rid of this? I sanded, stained, and sealed wooden slats and handle. I have all parts on order and it's just a waiting game for them to arrive so I can complete the project. I also ordered Acme nut to replace the quick disconnect on the gas. Came with a pretty new cover as well.
wAfsco7l.jpg

CoZQEagl.jpg

EdfMUO0l.jpg

5cwVsqvl.jpg

8LRJtkAl.jpg

SpZbhtpl.jpg

Buy another grill. When I restored mine I ended up getting parts from two grills. The result was one very nice grill and I didn't have to buy a single new part. Spend another $40, find a grill with a good lid, and maybe you'll end up with a spare set of burners or grates.

Always glad to see a older 1000 series saved. They are great grills, I still have and use my 1999 1000 LX I bought new. I have an extra used thermometer for that grill if you want to PM me your address I'll send it to you.
Oh and welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum. As was previously stated, it is great to see these older grills saved and restored. My wife uses the 96 Genesis I rehabbed earlier this year. When I first got it she thought I was nuts but now can't live without it. You are doing a good thing. Even if you have scratches on the lid, you have a great grill. Congrats!!!

PM sent. Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for a donor grill with a lid to salvage and post some updated pics when I get this back together.

Thanks everyone for the help. Especially Rich for the thermometer. I hope there is some way for me to pay it forward. Still looking for some way to polish the scratches out of the front of the grill. The previous owner must have brushed it with the grill brush or something. I grilled some carne asada, onions, and bell peppers for fajitas tonight for dinner. Heated up real quick.

Nice work. Keep looking for the donor grill. You may get lucky and find a free one. I have a complete black lid in excellent condition on the outside, very good on the inside. I intend to keep it in case I need it since parts are only going to become more scarce.

Fred, good job!

Love that color, I want to get one of each. Right now I have black and red. I can change them at will, and whenever my nosy neighbor asks if I got a new grill I'll say yes! He can wonder why he never sees more than one, and why I get a new grill every month!

Your welcome for the thermometer, always willing to help a restore of an old Weber and you did a nice job.
The way I clean up my lids is to take 0000 steel wool and windex or simple green and spray the lid then rub very lightly with the steel wool always making sure the area you rub is wet. Works great if the scratches aren't to deep if may take them out or make them less noticeable.

I have a black top from a 2000 that should fit (maybe some expert on the forum can confirm the fit). It looks great, although there is some rust on the back lip (where you won't see it). If you pay for shipping I'll send it to you.

Back