Such a basic question - From Toronto - Where do I begin?

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
As a newbie, how do I get into comps understanding that my first few should be closer to home?

Even better question: What does an accomplished team take home in winnings per season?

Hi James,

First off... Wishing You and Your Team, BBQ Excellence !!! ( In KCBS speak, that means I'm wishing you all 9's.. the highest you can get in KCBS)

Before going any further, let me ask this... Where do you plan on competing, Canada or US or a combination ?

Bob

Hi Bob,

As a newbie, I need to keep my job. I'm wondering how to get into weekend comps within a few hours of Toronto, Canada or the northern US. Again, as a newbie, I'm only running 2 WSM's that require observance even with my Stoker kit.

Hi James,

Totally understand ! I believe the vast majority need to keep their day jobs too, this includes those doing the pro contests ! Very few will make a living at it... Very Few !!!

Getting your feet wet in the amateur group can be a good route. Let's you get used to competing while keeping the costs manageable. FYI, for a pro KCBS contest down in our area, it's not unusual for a team to spend $800 - $1,000 per contest. Like I mentioned above... Very few will make a living at it. For those that are not in that group, it's an enjoyable, but expensive Hobby.

Find a BBQ association / society / club located in your area for starters. Get to know the people involved. Most all team, especially those in the pro group, are generally helpful of new teams.

KCBS list all Pro Contests... for 2015, that list is here

Bob

Bob gives you some very good advice (he always does - darn him for being so smart),

He has provided you with a link to the KCBS events page. When trying to find an event within a certain geographic area, I like to select the Visual Map option to the left of the search bar. It shows you what events have happened in the past 12 months, and which ones are scheduled for the upcoming 12 months.

As you are interested in getting into comps, I suggest that you visit one/some first. The Oinktoberfest event in Clarence has been a KCBS contest for 10+ years, and has been regularly attracting 50+ teams. Here is the event website http://oinktoberfest.com/. It is very likely that there will be multiple teams from the GTA, try to strike up a conversation with them, and pick their brains if they are agreeable.

Good luck, and God save the Queen

James...

Here's a shining example of the bbq family. I value Scott and his lovely wife Lee as close friends. Together, along with my wife Maryann, we have judged KCBS contests, served on bbq association committees, all the while have loads of enjoyment in doing so. Scott and Lee are also the pitmasters of a pro BBQ team. Really good people.

It is such friendships that make the BBQ community what it is.

Scott... see you in Elsinore ?

Bob

Hey Bob,

We were never given an opportunity to lock-in for Elsinore, so it is showing us on the wait list. We are only signed up for Sunday, as Saturday is our anniversary.

On Saturday we will be visiting the former employer of my favorite CBBQA Treasurer ( :D ), and we are likely to show up on Sunday still to see if there is anywhere where we can lend a hand.

As a newbie, how do I get into comps understanding that my first few should be closer to home?

Even better question: What does an accomplished team take home in winnings per season?

Hi James,

Toronto is the largest city in Canada and does not have any competition BBQ to talk about.

If you want to get your feet wet, Im helping to organize an amateur BBQ comp in Timmins ONtario next weekend (cooking ribs and chicken).. It's an 8 hour drive but the prizes might be worth your while. Grand Champion is a 1200$ Broil King Keg. Reserve is 500$ resort package at Cedar MEadows resort. 1st ribs and 1st chicken are 100$ gift gas cards so at least it would cover some of your gas home. There is also a Traeger Little Tex up for grabs as part of the Eastview RV Northern BBQ Tour. Best overall score from the 3 northern events takes it home. It's a first year event.. only 5 teams registered at present so the odds of walking away with prizing are outstanding.
Comp is Sept 12 and entry fee is only 75$ and we provide the meat (2 racks of ribs and 2 chickens). If you want more info, get in touch with me at heartofgoldbbq@gmail.com or www.hogbbq.ca There is also a mystery box competition which is kind of like Chopped on the food network but for BBQ. 100$, 50$ and 25$ cash prizes for that one.

Rene

Back