New RED Weber Q1200 review

RD Hauch

TVWBB Member
After getting years of use and enjoyment from my old Weber Q100, I decided to retire it and get a pretty new Q1200. The Q1200 is offered in 7 colors in the US and my choice was red which is color exclusive to the Ace Hardware chain. I'm really loving the addition of the side tables and the temp guage on this little beauty.
I have owned several other outdoor cookers over the years including my Kamado that you see in this pic but the babyq gets the most use by far. I mostly cook for just my wife and myself so having a tiny grill like the babyq is the perfect choice for so many meals. I like that I can so quickly and easily cook meals as small as one hot dog or one burger on it.
The Q1200 is large enough to fit a 10 inch Lodge cast iron skillet (barely) which is great for things like fried potatoes and eggs and my Lodge 10.5 inch round griddle works perfectly for grilled sanwiches or pancakes.
I love the easy portability of the babyq. I have taken it along camping several times. Its nice to have a que that works like an oven for camping.
The new Q1200 has several improvements over the old Q100 like electronic ignition, sturdy side tables, two piece grate, temp guage and the higher dome lid that makes it easy to roast a whole chicken using the WeberQ roasting rack and roasting sheild.
Now about the new two piece coated grate. I've found tafter using it for several weeks that it performs every bit as well as the old one piece raw cast iron grate. No better and no worse as far as cooking, sticking, or cleaning goes. The new design also allows for the Weber griddle option on one side.
One of the best features of the BabyQ is it's fuel efficiency. I use a 5gal propane tank with adapter hose on mine and I can cook more than 40 times on it before refilling. That's less than .50cents/per use.
I love my new red Q1200 and would hate to be without it.

Last edited:
I have a red q220 so I will think about one of these as I have been looking for a q120 but the used ones seem to be
costly around my area.

RD Hauch, thanks for the review and picture! Could you see if the ignition on your new Q could be fitted onto the old Q series? My Q220 fires up sometimes with the ignition.

RD Hauch, thanks for the review and picture! Could you see if the ignition on your new Q could be fitted onto the old Q series? My Q220 fires up sometimes with the ignition.

Funny you should ask. I just ordered Weber part #80475 to upgrade my brother's old Q200 to the Electronic Igniter.

I have the Olive Green 1200 and it's all that RD says it is. We have a Performer Platinum (uses the same propane cylinders) and a WSM, so we are ready for anything. It's great with chicken breasts, dogs, burgers, veggies and even a pork tenderloin. Great little grill. I have a stainless restaurant table that I set the 1200 on, so I removed the flip-out tables. I do have to remove the drip pan and store it, since a local critter likes to yank it out and chew on the greasy aluminum pan.

I have the Olive Green 1200 and it's all that RD says it is. We have a Performer Platinum (uses the same propane cylinders) and a WSM, so we are ready for anything. It's great with chicken breasts, dogs, burgers, veggies and even a pork tenderloin. Great little grill. I have a stainless restaurant table that I set the 1200 on, so I removed the flip-out tables. I do have to remove the drip pan and store it, since a local critter likes to yank it out and chew on the greasy aluminum pan.

Olive green? I've never seen a BabyQ in olive green. Would you post a pic please?
I've seen the Weber BabyQ1200 in:
Beige
Black
blue
Fuchsia
lime green
orange
purple
red (Ace hardware)
grey (Europe)

I have a Q140 (basically a 1400 with stainless steel grate rather than cast iron). It does a very good job. You cannot do lid up grilling that easily though as the design of the unit is to keep as much heat inside as possible. So you have to mentally adjust how you grill with these electric products. Frankly I'm not sure how well the larger (240/2400) would work. We're limited in the USA to 110 volt 10/15 amp outlets (most being 10). Whereas theses models in Europe can run on 220V and are better performing (especially the 2400 which really benefits from that higher voltage and wattage). The 1400 is not a bad choice if you are handcuffed to using electric. I cannot answer completely to the 2400. Frankly I think the US version would be quite under powered since the smaller one is nearly so.

I just got me a red Q1200 as well. I'm a little bummed as it's about 1/2" too tall to fit with the lid on in the trunk of my Subaru BRZ (also red). I'll have to take the lid off when I transport it. I'd almost go with the Q1000 for the shallower top lid, but I really like the side tables. I've even considered getting the older model Q120, but I love the new cart for the new series. That's the price of having a sportscar lol.

Back