Beer batter onion rings

Barb D

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Here's my recipe for beer batter onion rings, enjoy.

Barb

Beer-Battered Onion Rings
Yield: 6-8 servings
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) pale ale beer
2 large yellow or Vidalia onions
Vegetable oil, for frying

Directions:

In a large bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups of flour with the paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Whisk in the beer until the mixture is well combined. Let the batter rest at room temperature for 10 minutes.
While the batter rests, cut the tip off of the stem side of the onions then remove the peel. Slice the onions horizontally into 1/2-inch-thick rings and toss them with the remaining 1/2 cup of flour.
Add the vegetable oil to a large, heavy-bottomed pot (Dutch oven) to a depth of 2 inches and heat it over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer reaches 375°F.
Working in batches, dip the onion rings into the prepared batter, shaking off any excess, then immediately drop them into the hot oil. Be careful not to overcrowd the pot. Allow the onions to cook in the oil, flipping them once to guarantee even browning, for a total of about 3 minutes. Remove the onions with a slotted spoon and transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate. Immediately season them with salt. Repeat the coating and frying process, returning the oil to 375°F between batches, with the remaining onions.
Shake off as much of the excess batter as possible when coating the onion rings in order to get the best ratio of onion to batter.

Last edited:
Sounds like a real winner!! I love onion rings but am ashamed to say I have never tried making my own.

Try it John - you won't be disappointed.

I think it'd be great for beer battered shrimp, halibut or cod etc for fish & chips, mushrooms, green beans (yes they're good!), jalapeno slices, etc... I was even thinking of battering up some flank steak strips.

I've only used Pale Ales & they added a nice (and noticeable) flavor. I tried with water & it was a failure....I think the carbonation has something to do with it. So I've thought about using like Budweiser or PBR, Sprite, I even thought of using a grapefruit beer, Schofferhofer.

Last edited:
Try it John - you won't be disappointed.

I think it'd be great for beer battered shrimp, halibut or cod etc for fish & chips, mushrooms, green beans (yes they're good!), jalapeno slices, etc...

I've only used Pale Ales & they added a nice (and noticeable) flavor. I tried with water & it was a failure....I think the carbonation has something to do with it. So I've thought about using like Budweiser or PBR, Sprite, I even thought of using a grapefruit beer, Schofferhofer.

Try using a porter and see how you like that. It adds a dark nutty flavor, with hints of coffee or malt, depending on the particular porter.

Wait, no pictures of onion rings. :(

How's this? Sure stirring up my appetite!

11888614_10204856329949952_4599089922555563990_o.jpg

11935152_10204856333750047_8610224112100859581_o.jpg

11894471_10204856333070030_4561961727212309792_o.jpg

You're forcing me to make some Clint.

My problem is I start snacking on them as soon as they're out of the oil. So much so that the first batch is usually gone by the time the second batch just hits the oil. Not good for the waist line (never mind the backlash I get from my better half-->"You just cooked 6 rings.
Where are they?&#&#^#* ?"

You're forcing me to make some Clint.

My problem is I start snacking on them as soon as they're out of the oil. So much so that the first batch is usually gone by the time the second batch just hits the oil. Not good for the waist line (never mind the backlash I get from my better half-->"You just cooked 6 rings.
Where are they?&#&#^#* ?"

I thought I was the only one with that special skill :) - one onion really goes a long way..... even snacking heavily on them, I got 3 meals worth out of it....... They freeze & re-heat (microwave) almost as good as out of the fryer. I know about the waist line - I can feel myself getting fatter as I eat them but once in a while we gotta do it! I got rings @ a decent fast food restaurant today, & their rings were nowhere near as good as this.

Make these an they're all done at once - problem solved!

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx119/dbwallis/Grilling/87B796FB-C952-46FC-AB2B-EA93E80D3E8B.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

Now those look good - yours?

are there any substitutions for Beer in this recipe? I've tried Sprite & that didn't work.

I'm at ~98 days without beer/alcohol - friends bring theirs over but I don't think I should be bringing any home at this time.

are there any substitutions for Beer in this recipe? I've tried Sprite & that didn't work.

I'm at ~98 days without beer/alcohol - friends bring theirs over but I don't think I should be bringing any home at this time.

Club soda. I use it in Tempura batter.

Tim

Back