Pulled Pork finishing sauce from Bryan S, the RSC man

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I don't think it was ever posted here before.
Try it, you should like it.

Equal parts butter, chicken stock, and the BBQ sauce you'll be serving with the meat.
Heat on the stove or microwave in a glass measuring cup.
1/4 cup each makes plenty for one butt.
After pulling, sprinkle on some of your rub, then mix in the amount of sauce desired.

Equal parts butter, chicken stock, and the BBQ sauce you'll be serving with the meat.
Heat on the stove or microwave in a glass measuring cup.
1/4 cup each makes plenty for one butt.
After pulling, sprinkle on some of your rub, then mix in the amount of sauce desired.

I think this is a step that I have often overlooked and which is essential for nailing a good, moist finished product. I often will catch the drippings from the BB in a foil pain and mix them back into the meat, but with evaporation it can sometimes be just a few tablespoons which is not enough for that much meat. Adding more dry rub to the finished product I have also found adds significant flavor to my meat.

Thanks for the great idea.

I tried this for the first time yesterday and it worked out really well. I pulled/shredded a couple of butts about 3-4 hours before they were to be served, mixing in about half of the finishing sauce while shredding and adding the rest on top. Foiled up and held in a cooler, it was still plenty moist at serving time. I'll be using this every time I make PP from now on.

Depends on if you foil, if you do you save that liquid love and defat it and mix that back when pulling along with sauce ,rub.
You don't need to add stock, because you already have a concentrated pork stock, butter is optional.:)

Tim

Back