Rolling cart???

Daniel C

One of the few issues I have with the WSM is how hard it is to move around when put together. Has anyone tried to make some kind of a rolling cart that would allow easy movement while still keeping it stable?

This thread has several examples plus some links to more http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?60242-Building-shelter-for-my-WSM
I am fixin'to build myself a cart, still thinking about the final configuration.
My goals are to have a place to hang the lid that's easy to use, a work surface, a cabinet with a door under the work surface, and right now I am leaning towards having unrestricted access to the WSM from three sides.
If you just want a cart it can sit on this is pretty inexpensive http://t.harborfreight.com/24-in-x-36-in-folding-platform-truck-62212.html

A little overkill but it works. 4 2" casters on bottom
1438866969.4654.iPicit.jpg

One of the few issues I have with the WSM is how hard it is to move around when put together. Has anyone tried to make some kind of a rolling cart that would allow easy movement while still keeping it stable?

What size WSM?

I built this for my mini

S1032343_zpszvhfdk9j.jpg

and for my 18.5 I put three wheeled casters from Harbor freight on it and it's pretty stable.

My father in law gave me his old performer cart after he let the grill rust through. the grill couldn't be saved but i converted the cart for my WSM. attached ceramic tiles to create a floor for the wsm to rest on. currently use old bungee cords to hold in place when moving it but generally don't move it often.

After I got the WSM I quickly realized I needed mobility, storage, and a work surface.

Using scrap materials I designed/built a cart that filled the bill:

work surface - slab of Corian counter left-over from a kitchen remodeling project

platform - scrap 2x4s, 1/2” plywood, sheet aluminum

handle - leg of a junked pool chair

storage drawer - yard sale cake baking pan with a kitchen drawer handle

The wheels (swivel casters) are hidden under the platform on the smoker end. The caster wheels lifts the platform off the ground approx. 1/2 “. You push the cart like a wheel burrow.

Even though the WSM looks precariously perched on the edge of the platform, it is solidly held in place by metal studs coming up from the platform, through the WSM legs, and secured by small spring safety clips. The studs / safety clips make for easy/quick unit removal.

The storage drawer was very useful for small items (ie, matches), but turned out to be a pain and I ultimately removed it. Birds kept sneaking up in there and building their nests – what a mess.

The cart is easy to push around, but is also a very solid / stable platform.

For a picture click here http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa352/JohnSmallTX/WSM - Cart/WSM - Cart.jpg

Last edited:
18.5 WSM Stainless Steel Cart and Work Station

Hello Daniel, and everyone else. I was in the same boat when it came to wanting a work station, cart for my 18.5" Smokey Mountain. I bought the following work table, and modified the work table, so that my 18.5" WMS would fit inside of it. I ould then be able to use the rest of the work station for storage, and while cooking, a work station:

6ZZzaTTtQ8-34NBbj25K3w

This is what I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001TMEX7E/tvwb-20

I had all of the tool necessary to make the modification to the table, but if you don't you will have to spend a little more money.

1. Corded Drill with bit at least the width of your metal jigsaw blade
2. Corded jigsaw and metal blade (I have a battery power jigsaw, but the battery was not able to complete the job)
3. safety goggle (metal shards flying everyehwere)
4. dry erase marker
5. seamstress measuring tape
6. nail
7. clamp pliers
8. dremel work tool (metal cutting ability)

When the table arrives it is boxed, and I removed it from the box, but kept the cardboard on the ground so that I could use it for set up. I started with the stainless steel top, and placed it on saw horses. I used my dremel tool (pictured) to cut the metal welds for the center support (pictured), and then my dremel multi-tool to pry it loose.

95-AuUvfS0aDom2sFwq_vQ

8trofN1SRXuVJh-cykDxKw

Now I had free clearance to start measuring and cutting. Because I have the 18.5 WSM this cart works, it will not work for the 22 (because of width), and 14 (because of height). I measured the width from front to back and used a dry erase marker to mark the center. I made sure that I was far enough away from the edge that my circle cut would not interfere with the edges of the table. I used a seamstress measuring tape becuase of its flexibility and the hole at the end.

FtEl_tkvS1yEG_zSf45tsA

I stuck a nail through the end of the measuring tape, and the through the whole I drilled in the table. I clamped the nail in place so it would not pull out as I spun it in a circle to draw the circle.

cpX4IamAQd6lOHL3jxoBNg

PncJDCrQTPis-5eh7E4_Lw

Q2-5xW5ZRRyZGUIVUNmeCA

What is not evident from the picture is I measured out 10.5 inches and drew the circle. I wanted to 21" circle this ensures enough room for the handle on the door.

I then drilled a bigger hole in the center (after removing the nail and tape). This would ensure that the metal jigsaw blade would fit. I proceeded to cut the circle in the metal by following the blue line all the way around. Make sure that your saw horse legs are spread far enough that you will not cut into them.

TbVxAG1ZRqmaRqOp91M4Jw

In addition, be sure not to go straight from the center, to the blue line edge, you ahve to take a gradually curved approach, because the blade and the saw can not handle a 90 degree angle. I had to take a couple swipes at it to get the perfect angle to continue the circle. With a corded jigsaw, this process only took a few minutes. Be sure to wear goggle as you can feel the metal hitting your arms.

Once the hole is cut, be carefuul as the edge is jagged (nut not to bad). I need to find something to wrap the edge (foam, or rubber). I tried the rubber tubing that you use for your screens on the storm windows, but it was to small of a tube, and did not fit easily.

Again, now that the hole is cut, you can assemble the cart using the provided directions. (simple, no tools required)

xf75p3FIRvKiYrlL-l14dQ

you can see the WSM 18.5 fits pretty good right inside, and the eight is perfect as to not interfere with the lid. Here are a few more pictures now that I have the smoker inside the cart.

BUhJeUNdRaSUuJFo3_6n2A

So, you see there is ample room for storage, and the large wheels make it very easily to push around. Currently on the cart I have

1. 18.5" WSM
2. Charcoal
3. Rotisserie Attachment
4. Rib-O-Lator attachment for rotisserie attachment
5. lid lock attachment (not yet installed)
6. cold smoker attachment (not yet installed)
7. WOOD - pecan/mesquite/hickory/apple

All this cost was the cost for the table. $158 dollars from amazon (link above)

Happy Smoking everyone!

Not sure if Amazon Prime Photos supports bbcode necessary for forum sharing. You'll need to check their help pages for info.

Back