Probe wires

J. Winn

TVWBB Fan
I'm thinking of cutting a vertical slot in the pot lip just deep enough to let the probe wires pass without getting pinched by the lid. I have seen people do this with the WSM but not with a mini. Anyone done it to theirs? The lip is different between the mini and a WSM but I can't see that being a huge deal. Just curious to hear from anyone who has done it.

G'day
I have an oversize pot for the lid. Necked it to fit with a piece of 4 mm aluminium stock to form a lip that the lid seals too. Left a 3 mm gape for temperature prob wires.
It works well as I'm able to remove both racks meat and probs wires and all in one piece without removing the probe from the meat and leaving them hanging on there wires.
Added a set of handles to the lower rack as well to make removal easy.
Regards dave

When I made a mini a few yrs ago I cut a slot in the top rim of the pot. I've since given it to my son when I got the 14.5" which has the grommet installed. It works great.

When I made a mini a few yrs ago I cut a slot in the top rim of the pot. I've since given it to my son when I got the 14.5" which has the grommet installed. It works great.
Having used both the slot method and the new weber grommet, which do you prefer?

Just to keep it confusing, you can use conduit strain relief connectors. They have a variety of inserts so you can get exactly what you need, just make sure you use stainless steel and not a galvanized or galvaneal. That's what I used before running across the Weber grommet.

Before using the grommet I used brass ferrule fittings. Ace Hardware carries these in my neck of the woods . Located in the bulk screw bins look around hydraulic or auto bins. You need to take your probe with you to get the proper internal opening. You can get really close that there is no need for anything else to seal around the probe. I would drill a hole that was just slightly smaller than the fitting and just screw it in. If you don't screw it in all the way it will hold and not leak.

f10e5476_L060138.jpeg

Having used both the slot method and the new weber grommet, which do you prefer?

Of all the methods I've used the grommet is the best option in my opinion. It is the cleanest and you can place the grommet so access to both cooking grates is easy. Coming in from the top can make removing the upper grate a pain when using two grate probes. The wire from the lower probe seems to always be in the way.

I am running a maverick 733. Will both probes fit in that grommet?

No problem at all. I had all four of my iGrill probe wires running through mine this weekend. Could have fit another 4-6 easily. Here's a photo showing the two pit probes running through it. I hadn't added the other therms at this point. But as you can see there is plenty of room.

20042208764_cd55b49478_b.jpg

The lamp repair grommet wont work for me. The food probes I have are quite larger towards the end, the picture is a little deceiving as the bulbous end is actually bigger than it seems in that picture:
tx-1002x-np_b.jpg

So the hole would have to be quite large. My pit probe is no problem its just a k thermocouple. That's why I liked either the slot at the top or the new weber grommet. The slot just seemed easier to me but i wanted to see if anyone had done it on a mini. The problem with the weber grommet is I am in Australia currently and getting it here would be pricey. Thanks again!

The slot method is easy and works well, I've done it on both my Weber Performer and recently completed Mini WSM.

You can see pictures on the Mini WSM here:
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?61487-Mini-WSM-pics

I used an angle grinder then smoothed with a file, only took a few minutes.
From then on you just push the wires to the slot, and remove the lid without disturbing them.

Last edited:
The slot method is easy and works well, I've done it on both my Weber Performer and recently completed Mini WSM.

You can see pictures on the Mini WSM here:
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?61487-Mini-WSM-pics

I used an angle grinder then smoothed with a file, only took a few minutes.
From then on you just push the wires to the slot, and remove the lid without disturbing them.
Cool thanks for that. They only thing that worried me about the slot is the pot is pretty thin aluminum vs the steel of the WSM. I am just worried about it ending up getting bent or something like that.

Yes, the aluminum pots aren't as strong as the metal from a Kettle or WSM.
So far it hasn't been an issue on mine though, and I'm dragging it in and out of a truck tool box when we are camping.

Back