Dont use easy off to clean your grill!!!!!

Brian Lieder

TVWBB Member
I bought some extra strength (yellow can) Easy Off oven cleaner to clean my grill, and it did a great job on the porcelain part of the hood, but i got a little bit on the black sides and it took the paint off! Now i have to repaint that side and am very dissapointed in my ignorance. Lesson learned, so i thought id pass the knowledge to everyone else.

I got a little bit on the black sides and it took the paint off! Now i have to repaint that side
Bah... Don't think of it as being damaged, think of it as being personalized. Just keep cooking and worry not about the paint. Even if it rusts in that spot, it will still go for many many years

A couple of things:

The side is aluminum, it won't rust. If it the interior only, just rub it with oil and put some heat on. It will eventually seal up with grease, same as a cast iron skillet.

Do not paint the interior. Paint is for the exterior only.

Its just on the outside, i would never really try to clean the inside other than scraping it. The outside was mint though, and shes a beautiful redhead, so ill spend the hour and $6 bucks to paint it back to normal. Thanks guys

Would easy off be a good product to use for cleaning a box if I plan on repainting it? I want all the gunk out. I have it stripped down to the firebox.

I don't think Easy Off will strip the paint on the cook box unless the paint is already compromised. That being said, I use Sams Club Oven and Grill cleaner and feel that it does as good or better job than Easy Off at a lower price. It seems to be a bit less caustic as well, but I am not sure if it is or not.

Thanks guys! Just used it to remove the big globs of baked on stuff. Worked well. I may do a second round to get the remaining bits, but it is looking good!

Back