Throwdown #29: Corn

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I've not heard back from Peter Gallagher on an ingredient for our next throwdown...probably still reveling in his Throwdown Trifecta. ;) In the interest of getting something online that people can grill as part of their TVWBB GrillFest 3 celebration I'm going to break the glass, pull the emergency alarm and announce the next throwdown ingredient:

CORN! CORN! CORN!

American-style grilled corn in the husk...Mexican-style grilled corn on the cob with melted butter, mayo, cojita cheese, cayenne and lime...grill-baked cornbread...grilled corn salad...smoked corn salsa...just as long as corn and a grill or smoker are both involved.

Let's run this throwdown until Sunday, August 30 at 11:59pm Pacific Time.

To encourage voting in this throwdown, we'll be giving a $10 Home Depot gift card to one lucky voter!

Good luck everybody!

P.S. Remember, don't be intimidated! This isn't a barbecue competition, it's just for fun and friendship! Try it, you'll like it! And make sure to see the simple throwdown rules.

P.S.S. Remember, only 10 photos for each entry! Photo collages (multiple photos grouped into a single file) are OK, but each photo in the collage counts towards the 10 photo limit.

This is one I will be in on! Taber corn is about ready here in Alberta so we will have some great stuff to work with!

BBQ Buttered Corn

I got to work early on this throw down! Corn is a staple around the grill at my house!

I started with two whole ears of corn.

To prep the corn I pull back the Husks and remove the silk.

After the silk has been removed I put the husks back and soak the corn in water for about an hour. After they have soaked I put the corn directly on the grill on medium heat and cook for 20 minutes. I turn the corn every 5 minutes. After 20 minutes I take off the grill and remove the husks. Its amazing that after 20 minutes the husks are still extremely moist for soaking. Soaking gives the corn a chance to steam as well as be grilled.

While cooking I make my BBQ Butter to paint on the corn. I don't have a real recipe I just take a pinch of this and a little of that and mix it all up in the butter. I also add a tiny bit of BBQ sauce in the mixture. The Ole Miss helmets are my Salt and Pepper shaker. Someone misses college football!

Every few minutes I paste with my BBQ Butter.

At this point I am not really cooking based on time I am trying to get as much BBQ Butter on as I can while the corn gets some grill marks. I remove when I think it looks done.

I normally eat the corn directly from the grill. I don't add anymore butter or salt. The corn steams in the husk and is basted with BBQ butter and in my opinion does not need anything else. I also cooked up some stuffed peppers and a nice pepper jack burger but the star of the show is that beautiful corn!

Awesome meal!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Corn on the Bobs!

Ah, what better than fresh Michigan Sweet Corn? (Ok, yeah, insert your location...)

I started off by prepping a dozen ears of corn. I trim the silk back the end of the cob and remove the flyers but do not strip the husk and then replace it. After prep, the corn goes in about 2-1/2 gallons of cold water with 1/2 cup of sugar and 2 tablespoons of salt. It is covered with ice and a weight used to make sure it all stays under water.

P1000329.jpg

After several hours in the soak the corn is put on the grill and steamed in it's husk, about 15 minutes. I removed it and let it cool, then chopped the cob into sections and skewered them with peppers in between. Make sure to keep your sections in order and 'reassemble' the cob so it looks complete!

P1000339.jpg

During some down tie I made a corn baste. Dice an onion into very small pieces and sauté in olive oil. Once they're a bit limp, getting near translucent, add your other spices. Since these are oil-soluble spices it helps everything blend together. A bit of salt and pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika (could use regular), chili powder and a touch of cayenne. Once the spices start to break down I add enough olive oil to give the corn a through brushing, then cook just until the onions start to brown on the edges.

Keep the baste stirred as you apply to make sure those bits of onion make their way to the corn.

P1000340.jpg

Return to the grill and cook to the level you like. I like to do some with no char and some with more to please all guests.

P1000343.jpg

Just in time for dinner!

P1000344.jpg

Last edited:
Roasted Corn Salsa

Ok everyone here is my entry for the corn throw down. This is a great recipe and easy to make.

Grilled corn on Performer using olive oil, butter, Garli Garni and smoked paprika.
S1033991_zpso2pmigbe.jpg

Salsa ingredience: grilled corn, red onion, red, green and orange bell pepper, tomatoes and cilantro all chopped and going into bowl with lime juice.
S1033992_zpsloq8k6kq.jpg

S1033998_zpsa53hwdob.jpg

Everything mixed together.
S1034001_zps9qq1iuvl.jpg

Plated and served in corn Tostitos scoops.
S1034004_zpsbsaiwe7h.jpg

[Enjoy and thanks for looking.

Last edited:
well, full disclosure....
I am currently directed by SWMBO to do corn in a very basic manner:
it's shucked, oiled w/olive oil, and then grilled over direct coals, charred over the entire ear as much as possible.
if indicated, more time oover indirect.
that's it.
and what doesn't get eaten right then gets put into corn fritters, muffins, corn/black bean salsa, etc.

Here's mine...... This is new to me and I had other ideas on what to do (still might) but this is my take on a crab boil-----had it at Joe's Crab Shack, & then out of a milk kettle at family reunions etc. I found the crab for $6.99/lb and have done it up a few times in the last month.

The first thing I did was since the crab is already cooked and just needs to be reheated (on ice from the meat counter - I called & asked the butcher just to make sure), and shrimp only takes a few minutes to cook, I covered it all with cold water & mixed in 2-3 Tbsp of Old Bay and let it sit in the fridge for >2 hours. The first time I did this I soaked the corn too, but I had a lot more of everything and too small of a pot.

11225301_10204875232502504_2603380614253742101_n.jpg

Then I chunked up some red potatoes & smoke-roasted them with apple wood for around 30 minutes to get some extra flavor.

11258904_10204875232662508_6038911245924888318_n.jpg

Throw the corn on to get a little char -- I set a timer for 2 minutes & when I came back I found out why it's called Popcorn....

11873401_10204875232142495_1624151514917905846_n.jpg

Almost time to eat :) it's a little easier with a bigger pot or less food, but ya know....

11951803_10204875230182446_5929573091761337729_n.jpg

This is about as formal as it ever gets around here:

11904723_10204875229662433_5311145935388657050_n.jpg

This is how it looked last time I did it:

11836629_10204747705874418_5300580741459059627_n.jpg

Thanks for looking & lets see some more entries!

well, full disclosure....
I am currently directed by SWMBO to do corn in a very basic manner:
it's shucked, oiled w/olive oil, and then grilled over direct coals, charred over the entire ear as much as possible.
if indicated, more time oover indirect.
that's it.
and what doesn't get eaten right then gets put into corn fritters, muffins, corn/black bean salsa, etc.

show us don't tell us!

umm... perhaps it's MY computer, but I cannot see any of Clint's photos... :(

Sorry Jim (and anyone else) - try another browser....

I am photo-posting challenged. I've tried facebook & google, neither of them are visible in firefox (locked down) but they're both (pics hosted @ fb & google)visible in Chrome.

I've had issues for a long time...... thinking of trying dropbox next butttttttt.....lazy

Mexican Corn

Here's our entry....

Corn was soaked in water for 15 minutes and grilled directly for 7-8 minutes

Indirect for another 10 minutes or so. Lid on the whole cook.

Top corn had lime juice and chili powder.
Bottom had mayo applied first then queso cotija and chili powder.

Thanks for stopping by

Tony and Maribel

Back