Spicy Apricot Chicken Wings

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
This recipe comes from our friends at Kingsford to celebrate National Chicken Wing Day, July 29. It was developed by Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's BBQ.

SPICY APRICOT CHICKEN WINGS

Cook Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 4 hours
Yields: 4 to 6 servings

Marinade
1 cup apricot preserves
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons kosher salt
4 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon red pepper
½ teaspoon ground ginger

14 whole chicken wings cut into wings and drumettes (28 pieces total)

INSTRUCTIONS
Mix the marinade ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until well blended. Place the chicken in a shallow dish or resealable plastic bag and pour the marinade over the wings, turning to coat. Cover or seal, and marinate the wings in the refrigerator for 4 hours.

Build a fire for indirect cooking with Kingsford® charcoal by situating the coals on only one side of the cooker, leaving the other side void. When the temperature reaches 450˚F, remove the wings from the marinade (do not shake off the excess marinade) and place them on the grill grate away from the coals. Close the lid and cook for approximately 30 to 35 minutes, flipping each wing piece once.

Remove the wings from the grill and serve.

After seeing this yesterday, I went to check to see if we ever made it. I could find no record of Chris's recipe, but I did find a recipe we made in April of 2017. I just checked it with Chris's recipe.because our recipe also said it was from Big Bob's. The recipe we made is the same recipe as Chris's, same ingredients but 1/2 as much. lol Our recipe is called "Spicy Apricot Wings" from the Food and Wine magazine back in June 2011. Mystery solved.

Serious question: how different is this recipe's outcome than basting the wings with a store-bought ginger/spicy duck sauce, with the mustard and soy sauce added in? I've found duck sauce a great base for many a grillings.

Sounds like you have been doing a lot of ordering from Chinese restaurants!! lol

If you're referring to my comment, no. I've found duck sauce a useful and tasty marinade for some cooking. To clarify, I'm referring to apricot based duck sauce, not the red "sweet chili" cooking sauces, which I avoid.

Back