Mango Habanero BBQ Sauce for Jerk Chicken/Pork

JMGarciaJr

TVWBB Fan
One of the things that's gotten into my summer rotation is jerk chicken or pork. In fact, whenever I throw some butts on the WSM, one of them is inevitably treated to a lovely and therapeutic massage with jerk dry rub (if anyone needs/wants the recipe, just let me know). Usually, I pair anything jerk with a mango/habanero salsa. (Diced mango, diced red onion, cilantro, lime, kosher/sea salt and a tiny bit -- or more if you prefer -- of scotch bonnet/habanero or habanero hot sauce.)

During the summer, when our mango tree is rioting with fruit, this is a terrific fresh accompaniment to jerk pork/chicken. The sweetness of the mango cuts the heat of the chiles and even a complete civilian like my wife enjoys it with zeal. But during the months when mangos are out of season, I'm stumped.

Anyway.

Having visited the Williams-Sonoma outlet, they had on clearance their "Mango Habanero BBQ Sauce" and because it was so cheap (like a-buck-something), I took a chance and bought a jar. It has the texture of the better sort of ketchup-based BBQ sauce...thickish and smooth) and was surprisingly good. Which got me wondering if the assembled wisdom of TVWBB had any suggestions for hacking (and, by using fresh ingredients, improving) a recipe. This is the ingredient list:

Mango puree concentrate (this is available frozen year round, at least here in the Miami area)
Water
Distilled vinegar
Cane sugar
Tomato paste
Green onions
Brown sugar (light or dark, I have no idea)
Cane vinegar
Soy sauce
Salt
Garlic
Ginger
Lime juice concentrate
Habanero chiles (technically, Scotch bonnets would be more traditional)
Garlic powder
Tamarind concentrate
Spices (I assume these are typical "jerk" spices, such as allspice, etc.)
Onion powder.

Thanks in advance!

Back