Trying to Create My Own KC Style Sauce Today - Thoughts?

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
Today I figured I'd spend some time trying to create my own signature sauce for pork mostly I expect. I used the basics from a number of recipes I've used in the past. I'm not aiming for something too time consuming or ingredient heavy but something good enough that you can whip it up in 30 minutes and let simmer a few hours before it's needed. The below is where I am. I'm going for sweet and tangy citrus tomato based with a bit of a kick:

2 Cups Ketchup
1/2 Cup Water
1/3 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/3 Cup brown Sugar
2 TBL Yellow Mustard
1 TBL Onion Powder
1 TBL Garlic Powder
1/2 TSP Jalapeno Powder

That was the basic recipe (I subbed jalapeno for cayenne because I have a lot that needs to be used up). To this I've added the below to brighten it up and add a little more depth:

1 TSP Worcestershire (roughly 4 splashes actually)
3 TBL Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
1 TSP Orange Zest
1 TBL HP Sauce

Right now, it's really good. I'd be happy to use it as is but I'm going to push further to see where it goes. My plan is to add the following starting small and increasing if I get good results:

Ancho Powder
More Worcestershire
More Jalapeno Powder (needs a touch more heat)
Fresh Squeezed Lime (just to see if it finishes well)

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions/caveats? In the future, I'm thinking that I'll spend the time to sweat fresh onions and roast fresh garlic and maybe grill the orange (and lime if it helps) for a fresher flavour but this will work for today. I don't have anything cooking so it's really just about the sauce.

I would think the orange j would add more sweet than tangy. I'd try lowering that and using the lime juice (maybe 1T o.j. and 2 T lime).

I'm finding that the limes we get right now have little to no juice in them (I'm thinking margaritas here) and have gone to Realime in the big bottle as an acceptable substitute.

I prefer real but I need 2 to barely get one ounce of juice. Consider zesting the lime peel into the sauce as well.

Last edited:
You could also replace some of the sugar with molasses, which develops that deep flavor, as well as the darker color of KCM.

I prefer black strap, but then I like my sauce a little less sweet.

Thanks all. I was feeling like orange juice this AM and had oranges so that's the way I went. I added 1 TSP of ancho and it didn't add anything so it's out next time. I also added the juice of 1/2 a lime (ours are pretty big and juicy right now Len, 6 for $4 Cdn) which muddied the citrus flavour so I'll probably lean one way or the other next time. I'll try molasses next time as well (never tried blackstrap). Overall, I'm happy for now stopping after the HP. I did a taste test with Diana Chicken & Rib sauce and the Diana was pretty flat in comparison. I like the chili sauce idea. Wish I had thought of it.

Don't call me crazy for these suggestions until you try them. Add a small squeeze of anchovy paste or a couple splashes of Asian fish sauce. It's mostly salt, with a bit of indescribable umami.

I would also go with a heavy dash of celery seed or celery salt.

Back