fixing up genesis silver b: burbling sound, and what grates should i get?

Ezra F

Hi! My elderly neighbor moved out of town and gave me her old silver b... Free, but I had to push it 1/2 miles through my hilly neighborhood and down a long gravel driveway (both caster wheels disintegrated in the process).

It's in remarkably good shape, but when just one or two of the three burners is on there is a distinct burbling noise (it instantly goes away when I turn on the third burner). Should I be worried about that?

Also, the flavorizer bars are entirely rusted through and the grates are looking iffy. I scored the grill for free, so I don't mind replacing them both. What do you experts recommend? stainless or porcelain cast iron? Weber, aftermarket, or rcplanebuyer (the guy on ebay)?

I like the sound of something that requires less maintenance (I know myself, and I probably wouldn't remember to regularly rub down porcelain cast iron with oil; is that necessary to keep them clean and rust-free?) Will I find it significantly harder to get nice sear and grill marks with the stainless steel grates?

Thanks!

Thanks! I won't worry about the noise.

I'm curious if anyone has experience with functional differences between stainless steel and pci grates while grilling (ie sear and grill marks)

As far as sear goes, Grillgrates beat both of SS and PCI which are very similar. I have used my SS factory grates twice since I got my grillgrates, and wouldn't miss them if they were gone.

Now that's interesting! I just had a look at the grillgrates website, and they look fantastic on paper. Has your experience with cooking and cleaning your grillgrates been as, uh, great as advertised?

Now that's interesting! I just had a look at the grillgrates website, and they look fantastic on paper. Has your experience with cooking and cleaning your grillgrates been as, uh, great as advertised?

I can't remember reading a single negative thing about grill grates from an owner. A few "concerns" from non-owners. Everyone seems very happy with them. The PCI grates are maintenance free, I've not tried the stainless other than on my kettles.....---works good there I guess :)

Look to RCPlanebuyer for both flavorizer bars and stainless grates you will not be sorry. Best investments you'll make and the last

Yep. I really like using them as a giant griddle. I'd recommend their cleaning brush, as standard brushes don't fit into the troughs easily.

Back