What do you think?

PetefromGuelph

Local guy here in Canada selling this BBQ

$200 and he has a red head parts bbq as well he will throw in. Comes with the propane tank and is currently working. What should I be looking for on this one?

Thanks in advance!!!

Pete in Guelph Canada!

Usual suspects. Frame rust along l/side rail, burners, flavor bars, grates what have you. Looks like the flip up side table is broken off on left side too. IMO if you got him down to $150 for the both it would be good. Not necessarily smokin' good but good deal. I like the deep casting models because you can do the modification I have done to mine. Basically I took out the upper row of flavorizer bars, and left only the bars over the burners on the bottom. I than put a rock grate on top of the remaining bars and covered that with flare buster ceramic plates. Turned it into the finest cooking machine ever. Absolutely amazing results. Behaves like one giant infrared burner that is "zoned".

Don't know how pricing is up in Canada. That side table is $66 new from Weber and the catch pan holder looks shot so there is another $20. I've purchased three used Genny's here in the states and paid between $50 and $75 for them and they had all the parts and good solid frames (no side burner). I also got one with a side burner but rusted frame for free! Unless the parts grill has a really nice solid frame and nothing missing I wouldn't give more than $100 because of missing table. But that's just my experience here in the U.S.

I agree the price is a to high. By the time you put it in tip top shape you will have a lot of time and money in it. In this case I would not feel a real low ball offer is being a jerk. I think the guy knows what's up.

Local guy here in Canada selling this BBQ

$200 and he has a red head parts bbq as well he will throw in. Comes with the propane tank and is currently working. What should I be looking for on this one?

Thanks in advance!!!

Pete in Guelph Canada!

Here in the US I got one in similarish condition for $60USD.

Thanks for the responses! I ended up picking up a Silver C - black - no rust at all for $100. Guy truly took care of it - top may need a respray but other than that looks beautiful. Stainless grates and Flavor Bars are not corroded at all. Only thing on it amiss is the igniter. Other than that she cooks as she should. Just got home with it and threw some burgers on. All is well in the world!

Its amazing the sheer availability of second hand Webers in the US. If a decent one comes up on Craigslist here, you better grab it as there will be a line of people behind you if you dont. If you dont respond within an hour to an ad, its gone.

UPDATE!

So found out the Silver A is a DD (2000) serial... I threw some paint on her and cleaned her up a bit. Looks great and I am very happy with it. Unfortunately when I was pulling things apart I snapped a hex bolt. The other end of it is lodged in the bbq bowl itself - any ideas on how to get this out?

First shot at home

Cleaned up

screenshot software

picture share

upload

and the broken off Hex in the left side...

adult picture hosting

Thanks guys in advance! Much appreciated!

Last edited:
Had the same thing happen to me. was able to get some vice grips on the exposed part of the rusted bolt that remained 'inside' the bowl. Applied PB Blaster several times and let it sit and work, then took a propane torch to it heating up the bowl area where the bolt is. used the vise grips to move the bolt back and forth with short movements to losen it. just takes some patience but you should be able to get it out without drilling. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Had the same thing happen to me. was able to get some vice grips on the exposed part of the rusted bolt that remained 'inside' the bowl. Applied PB Blaster several times and let it sit and work, then took a propane torch to it heating up the bowl area where the bolt is. used the vise grips to move the bolt back and forth with short movements to losen it. just takes some patience but you should be able to get it out without drilling. Good Luck!

This sounds like the best option. Throw some vice grips on it and heat it up until i can finesse it back and forth. Throw some lube on as well.

Thanks for the tip - will update!!

Pete

Back