Help! Need burners for my 1985 Genesis JR....Weber discontinued this part, any ideas?

R Lindsay

The wife and I came across this really cool old 1985 2 burner Weber Genesis Junior LP grill at an estate sale and wanted to bring her back to life so to speak!
The outside is in mint condition since it has probably sat unused in the garage for the last 25 years but the rear burner needs to be replaced and I have contacted Weber (parts are discontinued) and searched the internet and can not find anything that will work! I'm hoping someone can give me some advice....
The front and rear burners are 22 3/4" long (P/N 11810001) and
the Crossover bar is 12 1/2" long (P/N 11810005)
Thanks in advance for your help!

Unless you know how to make a burner yourself you have a red headed step child no one wants especially Weber themselves

I don't have good news either... Exact same scenario - I picked mine up at an estate sale, paid a little to much (in hindsight and under the assumption I could get parts) with burner tubes were starting to go. Everything else was fine. I got by for a year or two by wrapping heavy duty foil around the tube, and than punching holes in the foil with a straight pin. Even with compromised burner tubes - that was a sweet little grill. I wonder if a metal shop can fab one or mod a full sized tube?

Start checking with Sheet Metal Fabricating shops. They have the tools to fabricate many different things made of ss, sheet metal, and metal. Good luck I hope you're successful.

Bill

Last edited:
The tube that comes with the three burner kit for the Weber Silver worked just fine, almost exactly the same as the original.

Congrats on a great solution. This should inspire others to try to rehab those grills.

Honestly Bob the Jr was one of those products I "never quite got". No real redeeming value just like the with the Weber gas kettle. That was one horrid product. My parents had one and so did my friend. They were just well.......................................not good to be kind.

I get what you are saying LMichaels but to those that love Weber products and enjoy owning them and using them, this is a great solution. Owning a piece that very few people have is an added incentive. That is one reason that many of us modify our grills to "make them ours". Look at some of the limited distribution grill that sell for a lot more money. I think if I were to come across one of the Jrs. I would try to get it and rehab it. I would even use it. Why do so many of us try to find an older Genesis Redhead. That is what I looked for and I love that grill and we use it regularly. I think the real redeeming value is the pleasure that it gives the person who has it and how they have solved problems with it. Just my 20 cents. No big deal.

Honestly Bob the Jr was one of those products I "never quite got". No real redeeming value just like the with the Weber gas kettle. That was one horrid product. My parents had one and so did my friend. They were just well.......................................not good to be kind.

In the case of the JR I understand.............It's kinda quirky and that by it's nature can be appealing to some. Like I said there is nothing really "bad" about the Jr. Though FWIW Weber saw fit to not continue it in favor of the 2 burner Spirit (which IMO) is the better performer. In the case of the gas kettle there is no redeeming value to it whatever. Like I said earlier it was an evil machine to attempt to cook on. It would either not cook at all or totally incinerate anything you placed in it. Believe me as a HUGE Weber kettle fan when my parents bought it (same was true for my buddy when he bought his) I tried to like it. But there was nothing it did right. My mother hated it too. As soon as they had a chance they got a Genesis (right after I got my Genesis III) only they got the 2000 (which I later converted to a 3000 when I got my dad a side burner). They could not bring that kettle to the curb fast enough LOL.

I can see the value in the old junior weber. Isn't it pretty similar to the later genesis A? I have one of those and REALLY love it.

No the Genesis A is IMO a better (much better) unit. The Jr is like someone took a Genesis (original Genesis) and lopped off part of the fire box chopping it sown by 1/3rd or a little more from left to right. Than took out the center burner. Nothing from the actual Genesis line actually fit it. The "A" model you refer to was the same width as the Genesis but is narrower front to back. The rotisserie system from the Genesis fits on it, as do some other things. Also the shape is more conducive to fitting things on it. Like I said the Jr wasn't a "bad" grill (like the gas kettle was) it was just an oddball.

No the Genesis A is IMO a better (much better) unit. The Jr is like someone took a Genesis (original Genesis) and lopped off part of the fire box chopping it sown by 1/3rd or a little more from left to right. Than took out the center burner. Nothing from the actual Genesis line actually fit it. The "A" model you refer to was the same width as the Genesis but is narrower front to back. The rotisserie system from the Genesis fits on it, as do some other things. Also the shape is more conducive to fitting things on it. Like I said the Jr wasn't a "bad" grill (like the gas kettle was) it was just an oddball.

I've never seen a genesis junior so I'll take your word for it. They just looked to be a similar size so I was assuming they were pretty similar grills in general (the silver A and the Jr ).

Back