Smoked Margarita

DBWallis

TVWBB Super Fan
I made this Saturday night using the same smoked whiskey as the Smokey Skyline, and it was *very* good!

Smoked Margarita

Balcones Brimstone Whiskey and smoked salt add a campfire smokiness to the classic margarita.

1 1⁄2 oz Reposado Tequila
1⁄4 oz Smoked whiskey, Balcones Brimstone (Brimstone adds a wonderful smokey flavor)
1⁄2 oz Orange liqueur,
1⁄3 oz Lemon juice
1⁄3 oz Lime juice
1⁄3 oz Simple syrup
1 pn Salt (Smoked Sea Salt)

Instructions:
Shake all ingredients vigorously. Strain into ice filled (chilled) double old fashioned glass. Salt Ice not rim and garnish with lime wheel.

I'm a little sad that this forum gets so little traffic ;(

I'm having this again in honor of tequila day, and it's hard to put into words how awesome this cocktail is!

Come on booze hounds, I'd love to see some of your favorite cocktails or beers!

I'm sure you love your concoction David BUT you don't need to add smoked whiskey to get that "smoked" taste. Just use mezcal. Tequila itself is supposed to made up of only one agave variety whereas mezcal can be made up of any of the other 150 or so different varieties. Mezcal is made by this method:

The hearts of the agave plants, piñas, are cooked in pits in the ground in a style that's similar to that for making barbacoa. (Tequila agaves, by contrast, aren't cooked.) The cooked agave is then crushed...
It gets it's smoky taste from the burning underneath the agave plant.

One I particularly like is Leyenda Tlacuache Organic Mezcal.

With that, I'd use my standard recipe:

3 shots (1 1/2 oz each) mezcal
2 shots (1/1/2 oz each) triple sec (don't waste cointreau in a marguerita--you won't notice the diff)
1 shot ( 1 to 1 1/4oz) lime juice

Shake for about a minute with 5 ice cubes, strain out the cubes and pour. Makes 2 servings. You could rim the glass with the lime rind you just squeezed and salt but I find that it holds too much salt and I've gotten away from using salt .

Back