Steak of the Month

JRPfeff

TVWBB Guru
This wasn't very interesting in Just Conversation. I'll see what I can do here.

I saw this deal at The Butcher Market earlier today on Groupon and was gong to pass it up. I've bought some excellent meat from The Butcher Market before, including some dry aged steaks. But at $100 for six steaks I didn't think I'd be getting much. Then I looked at the list and it was a no-brainer. That is only about $10 per pound.

Cut of the Month Guide

July: 36oz Cowboy Steak (Bone In Ribeye)
August: 32oz Tri-Tip (Legendary Signature Marinated)
September: 32oz Pichana (Brazilian Steak house Cut)
October: 20oz Hanger Steak (The Butcher’s Secret Cut)
November: 20oz Porterhouse
December: 16oz USDA Prime Strip Steak

Happy Father's Day to me.

I picked up my SOTM for July, a 2 pound bone-in rib-eye. The steak had a posted price of $15.99/pound.

CJktFdWVEAAcWo9.jpg

Any recipe ideas for tomorrow? Right now I'm thinking about Jamie Purviance's Bone-In Rib Eye Steaks with Sweet, Pan-Roasted Garlic. Supposed to look like this.

2013_04_09_20_12_54_otgs_redmeat_1_full.jpg

Last edited:
Resting on the sizzling platter.
CJrCntcUYAE-17C.jpg

On my plate, about a half pound of ribeye, baked potato and Green Bay squash.
CJrCrBfVAAA9RNW.jpg

I cooked the meat for 8 minutes a side and it still was closer to rare than to medium-rare. It was still extremely tender and flavorful. A great steak.

Good news Clint & Bob, I was able to get another deal, this time with 20% off. I just couldn't pass it up.
Senior discount? :p

I decided the deal must be pick up in store only, even though Groupon said free shipping.
Not really sure how Groupon works, but think the deals can be regional only.

You did that ribeye proud Jim!

I turned one of my cousins who lives near Jeff onto that deal - if anyone farther away gets it to work let us know!

CL1wM4vUsAAs_sL.jpg:large

It's August! Time for my next SOTM. This time it's tri-tip with "Legendary Signature Marinade." I hope it tastes better than it looks. The tri-tip only weighed 2 pounds, it almost looks like a filet in the picture below.

CL2CfP7VEAAZ0bP.jpg:large

I decided to cook the tri-tip using a reverse sear with a piece of an oak whiskey barrel for smoke. I think this is the first time I've ever reverse seared anything, so I was unsure on when to go direct with the meat. I went close to an hour before searing and the temperature was reading 130F. By the time I got the tri-tip off the grill it was reading 140. Oops. The drippings I tasted off the tongs tasted different. I wasn't sold on the flavor yet.

CL2Cya3UMAAbxjA.jpg:large

Plated tri-tip, Bush's Sweet Heat beans with Pico, and from-scratch hash browns. The beef was done about right for medium rare, and the marinade had a nice flavor. I think beans are a traditional side with Santa Maria tri-tip. Hash browns are a regular side with steaks at Wisconsin supper clubs, and I tried to get that level of crispiness. I fell short, but will try again.

Last edited:

Back