Outdoor Burner

ronjcar

Looking to add an outdoor burner (propane) to my grilling collection. Most likely want a single one. Don't think I would need a double or even the triple ones out there. Would like one made of quality materials so it will last awhile. Also, would like a nice temperature control. Would like to boil big pots and simmer small ones. I know that is a big range. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Ron

Camp Chef explorer 2 burner .
Very sturdy , adjusts from low height for big pots & high for cooking smaller pots or griddles.
Cast aluminum burners won't rust , 2 (30,000) BTU burners will heat a frying pan or griddle all the way to an 80 qt crawfish pot.
Lots of accessories made to fit !
Available on Amazon for $90-$100 dollars.

I bought a Bayou Classic turkey fryer many years ago. The burner is fine, the frame has held up well, but the valve is a joke. It's hopeless trying to make fine adjustments.

I shopped them a bunch sometime around 2011/2012 when I first decided to get into brewing - I wound up finding a good deal in a home depot or lowes - kind of nice seeing things like this in person.

I bought a Bayou Classic turkey fryer many years ago. The burner is fine, the frame has held up well, but the valve is a joke. It's hopeless trying to make fine adjustments.

I agree, I have the bayou classic and it's mostly used for all-the-way-on or off. It's not a precise instrument. But it's durable and has held up for over 10 years of regular use.

John, thanks for the suggestion of the Camp Chef stove. The reviews are quite good I see, and also for wokking on it. The price seems quite reasonable.

I'm considering a Camp Chef 2-burner stove. After being assured at the appliance store that my GE Monogram (5 years old now) with sealed burners would handle wok cooking very well, I discovered just the opposite. The burner covers spread the flames up the sides of the wok and I can hardly get a simmer on a stir-fry sauce in the center. The burners won't light if I take off the burner covers.

Can anyone tell me if the burner has one row of flames or two (one aimed to the outside of the burner and one aimed to the inside, for smaller pots (and the center of woks)?

Rita

Check out the high-low stove from camp chef. It sounds like what you maybe looking for in an outdoor stove.

John, thanks for the suggestion of the Camp Chef stove. The reviews are quite good I see, and also for wokking on it. The price seems quite reasonable.

I'm considering a Camp Chef 2-burner stove. After being assured at the appliance store that my GE Monogram (5 years old now) with sealed burners would handle wok cooking very well, I discovered just the opposite. The burner covers spread the flames up the sides of the wok and I can hardly get a simmer on a stir-fry sauce in the center. The burners won't light if I take off the burner covers.

Can anyone tell me if the burner has one row of flames or two (one aimed to the outside of the burner and one aimed to the inside, for smaller pots (and the center of woks)?

Rita
It looks like a water heater burner several rows of flames

Rita
It looks like a water heater burner several rows of flames

Rita,

Appliance salesmen aside...check on your Monogram. Most consumer stoves require an adapter for a wok...I know my Dacor does. I bet if you look there is an optional wok ring for your stove.

I still get wanting to do it outside...but don't give up on your regular stove yet.

John, thanks for the reply. I'll have to check the flame in my water heater to see what it looks like....for the first time! :)

Jeff, the wok ring is a long story; I'll try to shorten it. I went to buy a wok ring for my stove after it was installed during an out-of-town family emergency when I couldn't check it, and there was none...NONE! An enterprising salesman remembered that the previous model of my stove did have one and he knew that the cooking grates were exactly the same, so he ordered one for me. $40 later I found that with or without the wok ring, the outward direction of the flames heated the outside and upper sides of my carbon steel wok but not the center, because there is a heavy cap (similar to cast iron) over each burner that forces the flames out to the side and would not allow the flames to burn vertically under the center of my wok. I guess GE learned from the previous model that a wok just wasn't going to work on the sealed burners and discontinued the wok ring for my model.

I'd been successfully wokking for over 40 years with the same wok and I'm so exasperated that I can't think of what to do next. That's why I'm thinking about the Camp Stove, although I'm not looking forward to carrying trays of mise-en-place through the kitchen, through the dining room, around the table, and through sliding glass doors on the other side onto the deck...and back again...to accomplish it!

I've thought about induction burners and other indoor butane stoves but it looks as if they are not hot enough. I tried the wok on my Genesis grill and that didn't work either.

Just a thought for you Rita, I use my wok on my Performer with the Weber Gourmet System. With the charcoal piled under the wok, it gets blazing hot and works fantastic. Since we are all used to cooking outside anyway, this has been a great solution for me. Good luck.

I have a burner I use just for my wok and also have a Camp Chef 3x Expedition. Both work good and higher heat but at lower temps they don't work too well especially if it windy.
I also have a butane burner and that works pretty well too, but I don't use it very often. It is similar to this one, they can be found around here for around $20-25. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002QUT3AU/tvwb-20

The burner I have for my wok. I got it at one of the local swap meets around 6-7 years ago and needs to be replaced pretty soon.

Rita,

Sounds like I tore the scab off a wound....sorry. My wife would be as exasperated as you. She loves to use her wok.

Speaking of her, if she didn't think I was already nuts with all my outdoor cooking gear, I would be looking seriously at a Camp Chef 2 or 3 burner.

There's a thread on cooking on a plancha at barbecue bible where a three burner Camp Chef is the star of the thread. It might be worth your time to check it out.

John, thanks for the reply. I'll have to check the flame in my water heater to see what it looks like....for the first time! :)

Jeff, the wok ring is a long story; I'll try to shorten it. I went to buy a wok ring for my stove after it was installed during an out-of-town family emergency when I couldn't check it, and there was none...NONE! An enterprising salesman remembered that the previous model of my stove did have one and he knew that the cooking grates were exactly the same, so he ordered one for me. $40 later I found that with or without the wok ring, the outward direction of the flames heated the outside and upper sides of my carbon steel wok but not the center, because there is a heavy cap (similar to cast iron) over each burner that forces the flames out to the side and would not allow the flames to burn vertically under the center of my wok. I guess GE learned from the previous model that a wok just wasn't going to work on the sealed burners and discontinued the wok ring for my model.

I'd been successfully wokking for over 40 years with the same wok and I'm so exasperated that I can't think of what to do next. That's why I'm thinking about the Camp Stove, although I'm not looking forward to carrying trays of mise-en-place through the kitchen, through the dining room, around the table, and through sliding glass doors on the other side onto the deck...and back again...to accomplish it!

I've thought about induction burners and other indoor butane stoves but it looks as if they are not hot enough. I tried the wok on my Genesis grill and that didn't work either.

Rita, I came across this article. Might it help you?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/...ur-home-burner-into-a-wok-range-solution.html

and buy it here:

http://www.wokmon.com

At $80 + , it's not cheap. But if it works .......

But then I found many others that are cheaper. Here's one so I'm not so sure now

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B008UE43WO/tvwb-20

Last edited:
Sounds like a few prefer the Camp Chef brand over the Bayou one. Is there any other well known brands I should check out?

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Ron

Speaking about Camp Chef, I saw one at our Atlanta Costco this week, a 3-burner model.

Jeff, I did contact GE and got a lukewarm reception. She wouldn’t say that one “cannot” wok on the range, nor would she say anything negative. She really danced around the issue and was delighted that our conversation ended. I did, 5 years ago get a wok ring for the stove although none was offered for my model of stove. Obviously, I did not get the hint. The salesman ordered the wok ring from a previous model of my stove….probably left over after they discovered it was useless for wokking.

Bob, I’m using a Weber Genesis gas grill and sadly can’t redirect the heat to the wok’s bottom as well as you can with charcoal.

Len, Bingo! You might have discovered something for me with the Wokmon. Wokman is about ready (finally)to distribute the units any week now. Yes, they seem to be a bit overpriced ($80 to $90), but considering the heat that they will be exposed to, maybe not. It “sounds” as if they will do the job. Serious Eats seems to like them. Thanks for pointing me to a possibility for getting me wokking again. I don't see any advantage to pre-order, so might just wait a few weeks and check the reviews just to be certain. It's certainly better than getting a new stovetop!

Rita

Bumping an old thread here, but I accidentally bumped into this video today....

I did stir-fry on my Silver C's side burner today with decent results, but the Wokman-type addon sounds interesting.

Back