Thoughts on this redhead?

Michael William

TVWBB Member
Taking out the garbage to the dumpster last night I saw this sitting there. Rolled it to around back of my building to have a better look at it today. What do you think? Looks like it needs all the usual parts, flavorizer bars , igniter, grates and the bottom pan. Everything looks really solid and the only serious rust is on the left hand side of the upper frame.
Is this thing worth putting a few dollars into? Thoughts and comments are welcomed.

Mike

That is definitely worth the effort. You probably will need to have a new section welded in but that is a great Genesis and deserves to be rehabbed.

Welcome to the forum and don't hesitate to ask questions.

whatever you put into to it you will get in return. That is a great grill. Couple of bucks and some elbow grease and you'll have a solid cooker for years to come!

If you decide not to fix it, do everyone a favor and offer it to someone in your area on this site who will give it a good home. It is well worth the effort to fix it. The Genesis 1000 I rehabbed earlier this year gets a lot of use. My wife uses it regularly, since she doesn't like to deal with charcoal. That is my job. You will feel great when it is rehabbed. Mine is about 20 years old and it has more than that to come. Great Grill!!!! We are all here to help you.

BTW the frame fix can be done with out welding. A piece of angle steel and some stainless fasteners will replace that piece nicely. just cut the old piece out, and cut the angle iron so thats it's notched on the ends and the top 'flat' sits on the frame. Pop a few holes and use some stainless bolts to secure to the frame and box. Easy fix on the cheap

BTW the frame fix can be done with out welding. A piece of angle steel and some stainless fasteners will replace that piece nicely. just cut the old piece out, and cut the angle iron so thats it's notched on the ends and the top 'flat' sits on the frame. Pop a few holes and use some stainless bolts to secure to the frame and box. Easy fix on the cheap

That's a really good idea. I appreciate the responses. I have a little experience welding but I'm not very good at it. I like your plan.
So I really gave her the once over tonight and she's in better shape then I thought. There's virtually no rust besides that rotted out frame cross member.
Igniter still works an the burners look real good. I don't own a propane tank so I can't try it out but I'm betting she fires right up.
Flavorizers are shot as is the grate for the most part.
The bottom tray is pretty nasty so I'll just replace it.

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions. This is my first gasser.

Do you have pics of this fix for reference? I'm in the middle of a rehab and need a solution

Telling the year really is not important. Knowing the model is and even that Weber makes easy. You just go to their web site and start matching it. Looks like it has the deep fire box so that is the most important to know as it has 2 rows of flavorizer bars. You can keep it that way or turn it into the best cooking machine ever by putting one layer of bars than a rock grate on top of them and than lay in a layer of flare buster ceramic plates. The grill will act like one giant IR burner with zones. Did this to my old Genesis II and cannot believe the difference in how it cooks. No hot spots, perfectly eve heat, better grill flavors and almost no deposits into the drip tray as they're much more effectively vaporized.

So this thing was made the same year I graduated high school 1995. It's definitely in awesome shape for a 20 year old grill. I'm excited to start moving forward with this project.

Would a piece of angle aluminum work to replace the rotted upper frame or should I stick with steel? I have a piece of aluminum I was thinking of using.

If you can find aluminum in the proper shape do it. Frankly I don't know why Weber just didn't use it in the first place

So in another thread I posted how I was able to get 3 of the 4 screws out that hold the drip pan rails. I plan on attempting to drill the broken one out this weekend.
Also I found an old guard rail in a pile and saw that it had a piece I could use to replace the rotted cross beam on the frame. I went old school and used a hacksaw to cut both pieces. The replacement piece is smaller in diameter so when I cut the rotted piece out I left the ends on the frame that were still solid. This way I was able to use them like a sleeve and slide the new piece into it and then bolt it into place. It's not the most beautiful repair but I was free and easy and only took 20 minutes. Here's some pics to show what I'm talking about.

The rotted section.

Here's the new section I cut off the railing.

Cut out the rusted section.

New piece in place. Just needs to be bolted on.

Last edited:
Really smart work Mike!

You've probably already thought of this, but be sure to paint any exposed steel from cutting out that rotted piece. Rust is metal cancer, and it's always metastatic!

Good luck, slainte!

Tim

I plan on sanding the whole thing down and painting it. Also I'm going to put some kind of sealer in the gap around where to new piece is so water doesn't get in there and sit.

Back