thermocouple connector sourcing question

Johannes S

TVWBB Member
i started building the heatermeater with maverick probes and ordered a case for a thermocouple probe. stupid me.
now i'd like to upgrade the pcb to thermocouple, which is no big deal, but finding the thermocouple connector IS A BIG DEAL. ordering from newark in the usa and shipping to europe is insane. and ordering 10pcs from aliexpress is even more insane.
anyone who can sell me one for a reasonable price, or any sources in europe that have them w/o stupid handling fees and shipping costs?
my case has this ugly big hole where the connector should be installed. looks really bad that way :(
please help if you can :)

Or more generally, why is there literally only one thermocouple mini connector in the world? If you google search "thermocouple mini connector" thousands of results for the little yellow piece you put on the end of the wires that plugs into the jack, and just ONE jack that they can plug into. I mean the whole world's thermocouple industry can't use this one supplier to host every mini jack they sell, right?

lol. reading your post for the first time i thought it was sarcastic about my post not being able to search. but you're damn right. i don't get it either. 1000s of males but no females to plug it into ;)
so if someone knows a source or got one connector to spare please let me know.

IDK if this helps you out in Europe, but there does appear to be at least TWO sources for the type K thermocouple jack. Omega also makes them, or sells the same stuff Newark has (I'm not sure on that), here is a link. http://www.omega.com/pptst/PCC-OST-SMP.html

The ordering is a bit cryptic, you have to use the part number builder further down the page. Unfortunately the minimum quantity order is 5, but they've got em....

lol. reading your post for the first time i thought it was sarcastic about my post not being able to search. but you're damn right. i don't get it either. 1000s of males but no females to plug it into ;)
so if someone knows a source or got one connector to spare please let me know.
haha No I totally feel your pain! What are people plugging these into?!

If you can't find a source, I can mail you one (or more) at $2.75+$8 shipping. It would also take 3+ weeks to get there, but if that's your only option \O/

thanks. €35 for 5 connectors i against my nature ;) i will have to find a different solution.
maybe someone else needs them so we can do shipping cost sharing. shipping one of these from one european country to another should be less than a euro.

There's GOTTA be a source in Europe? Maybe email Newark and Omega and ask them if there are any European distributors?

Johannes,

The guy that printed the case for you might have a spare connector for sale!
Do you only need the connector or also the SMD components?

There's GOTTA be a source in Europe? Maybe email Newark and Omega and ask them if there are any European distributors?
this IS from the german source. but you gotta take 5 pieces minimum (for what they charge €24) and €10 shipping costs. this is just insane.
and the local supplier (conrad.at/.de) doesn't have this in it's supply. i may call them and see if they can source it.

Johannes,

The guy that printed the case for you might have a spare connector for sale!
Do you only need the connector or also the SMD components?

you know that guy? ;) he did a GREAT job. i'd sent you a PM. and yes i need the smd components as well.

Datei%2007.07.15%2021%2018%2006.jpeg

Last edited:

Ralph,

I had the same problem, no supplier would sell me small quantities of these connectors for a reasonable price. I buy them now via my Chinese PCB supplier, problem solved!

It's the same here, you gotta fork up at least $5 shipping to get a dollar item delivered, blows the cost way up.... You've gotta buy a bundle of them to spread the cost out but most people only need the 1. It would be really nice if Mouser would carry them but for some reason they don't....

That's one good reason to just buy the kit from Bryan, all the stuff from one source with 1 shipping fee. Otherwise you have to place at least 3-4 orders to build a HM.

I guess if you're building bundles of HM's as you are Peter, it makes sense to look for a bulk supplier like China, where you probably get a huge bundle of them delivered (a couple weeks later) for a very low price.

Uk farnell has them for £3.95 basic shipping is free

Farnell only sells to business customers, not to individual end users like me. Also that £3.95 is excl 21% sales tax so the total price will be close to $7.50 for one connector. For me that spoils the fun a little bit.

Farnell only sells to business customers, not to individual end users like me. Also that £3.95 is excl 21% sales tax so the total price will be close to $7.50 for one connector. For me that spoils the fun a little bit.

I agree it's quite an expense for 1 component, but I couldn't find a cheaper Heatermeter PCB friendly alternative :-/

I have about 40 of these sitting on my workbench. How much is Newark wanting to charge you for shipping?

Is there any reason why we can't use a cheaper connector for thermocouples? A lot of thermocouples come with spade connectors instead of the yellow plug. Hell, you could even use a phono jack (aside from the confusion with the existing meat ports).

Last edited:

Back