Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Missouri > St. Louis: Pappy's Smokehouse

TVWBB Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
    He went in the kitchen and got me one to sample while I was waiting in line. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is what makes that place Pappy's! Great food and atmosphere! The ribs are lip smacking good and the brisket is always moist. You do want to get there early to get a good seat and great food. The owners definitely go out of their way to make your experience good!
    Cappy

Weber Charcoal Go-Anywhere (H) / Weber 18.5" WSM (DE) / Weber OTG 22.5" (DO) / Weber 22.5" Performer (DZ)

TVWBB Fan
    The barbecue at Pappy's was exceptional. The ribs were some of the best I've had in a long time from a restaurant. What impressed me the most was the service. My whole family went which included an infant and two toddlers. Although the wait was quite long (which I didn't mind because obviously the que was good), Pappy spotted us and began talking to us. He asked where we were from and even talked to my kids. He took a real personal interest. He asked about my background with bbq and at that point he realized that I cook often. He started sharing some of his tips on meat temp, rubs, etc. He ran into the kitchen and brought out samples for all of us to try. Within five minutes Pappy pulled us to the front of the line (since he didn't want my wife and I to stand there holding kids) and he actually FOUND A TABLE FOR US! None of the other patrons minded since he explained to the folks in front of us. I felt like he was an old family friend.

Pappy and his restaurant are the real deal. Outstanding food and great, great down home hospitality. The best I've ever experienced in that regard.
    Silly Bubba Loves that Que!

TVWBB Super Fan
    In all the years, miles, and restaraunts we've ever eaten in Pappy's is the only place my wife has said "We're coming back tomorrow!" when we ate there for the 1st time about 3 years ago. Was there in early November, recognized Skip's daughter, asked about Skip, and she said "He's right over there." which suprised me because I knew he was working on Bogart's. Met Skip while he was still at RUB in Las Vegas - walked up to say "Hi" and was totally amazed that he remembered me and even greeted me by name. Everything we've ever tried at Pappy's has been great!
    22.5" Weber One Touch Silver, 26.75" Weber One Touch Gold, 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, 1970's 22.5" Weber Kettle

TVWBB Fan
    We visited Pappy's this past summer right when they opened. waited 45 min in line to get our food. once ordered, it was served quickly. Brisket was so-so but sausage was good. Pork was really good and ribs were excellent. This was the best food at a BBQ place that I had ever eaten. I highly recommend it if you can handle the wait. Regards.
    Slug Bug BBQ

TVWBB Super Fan
    I went last week with my daughters on a trip to St Louis. There was a pretty good line when we got there just before noon on a Friday, but having read the reviews above, we expected it. The wait was at least a half hour to order, but then the food came fairly quickly. Ribs, pulled pork and sausage link were all very good. The brisket was very disappointing. They had a few options on sauces and I thought they were all good. The sides were also very good. Good bluesy atmosphere, as someone noted above - at least as bluesy as you can get during the daylight. Overall, I highly recommend Pappy's, but I would suggest sticking to the pork.

Pete

TVWBB Fan
    Waited 45 min to get food at Pappys and it was worth the wait. Ribs were great, pulled pork was very good and sausage was excellent. The brisket was my least favorite as it did not ave a lot of flavor. Had a good time there and the owners made the rounds and asked each table how the food was and even bussed the tables. Well worth a visit. Far better than most BBQ joints.
    Slug Bug BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
    Plus the green beans at Pappy's are excellent!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12