Preheat: why so long?

Steve M.

TVWBB Fan
Maybe I don't really know how to grill. When I cook steaks, I do preheat and sear. But chicken, chops, burgers, sausages, etc, usually go onto a moderate heat.

I just picked up a great deal from Craig's List on a like new Summit Silver B - including the owner's manual. Reading it, it tells me to preheat the grill, wide open for 10-15 minutes. I'm guessing it will reach between 450 - 500. Steak range, but seems way too hot to throw on chicken breasts or hamburgers.

What am I missing? I get that it will clean the grill, but I need some guidance on cooking with that intense heat. Can I assume after the preheat, just turn it down and toss the meat on (I don't usually "sear" chicken) and cook at normal heat levels.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I can be taught.....

Steve

With a 15 minute preheat the summit should be bouncing around 550 - 600 F. The reason for the preheat is to kill all the nasties and burn the crud off the grill. After the preheat you can give it a brush down with a good quality brass brush and you are ready to go. Because the grill is made from PCI or SS rods it takes a while for them to heat up. If you want to cool it down a bit just leave the lid open for a minute or twio.
I do skinless chiken breast fillets by giving them a light brushing of oil and season them with salt, I cook them for about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes per side depending on the thickness the searing burns/smokes the oil giving the chicken a wonderful natural flavour. The chicken is so moist you can squeeze the juice out with your fingers.

Regards

Back