Garlic Rosemary Chicken

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
Cheated a little bit last night and simmered the thighs before they hit the grill but that's what the recipe (from Cuisine at Home) called for...

Bone in, skin on chicken thighs swimming in chicken broth, whole black peppercorns and a bay leaf for 25 minutes.

IMG_3222.jpg

Out of the "pool"...not looking too appetizing yet.

IMG_3223.jpg

Brushed with a parsley, rosemary, garlic, olive oil and black pepper paste...then on direct for 5 minutes a side.

IMG_3224.jpg

Off and resting.

IMG_3225.jpg

Plattered with some grilled lemons and potato skewers.

IMG_3226.jpg

Pretty darn tasty...even for "boiled" chicken.
icon_eek.gif

that don't look boiled Don, Looks Great!
you musta been watching me pull thighs outta the freezer yesterday for tomorrow's grillin'
icon_razz.gif

love rosemary and garlic on chicks
icon_wink.gif

Nice dinner Mister Cash!

ya know, even the table in your last photo looks like my old deck table
icon_eek.gif
hmmmmm....

nice.

tell me about the grilled lemons. they look cool, but I'm not sure I get it.

I've been working a similar pool protocol, but I mix it in after a little grilling. for wings I do 20 min indirect, 20 min pool, 20 min direct (in a wsm without a water pan and a lot of constant attention). I find the pool adds a deep flavor and really gets the chicken tender.

Don, the thighs and sides look great! (hold the rosemary please
icon_smile.gif
)

If we don't attempt different methods we become stuck in a rut, nice to see that you refuse to be mired down.
Thanks for sharing!

Thanks guys!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
tell me about the grilled lemons. they look cool, but I'm not sure I get it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me either...it was another "it was in the recipe" moment. Maybe as a garnish?

The recipe called for 4 lemons but didn't say what to do with them, seemed like a waste so I only did 2. I will say, I squeezed a half on the chicken I ate. It did add a ton of flavor and wasn't too sour. I think the heat may have mellowed out the citrus...or I could be full of it. Who knows?
icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Derek L.:
Care to share the measurements of the garlic rosemary, etc.? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not at all. I'm at work, the recipe is at home. I'll post later tonight.

I have added lemon slices to chicken kabobs before basically for additional flavour... and they didn't look too bad on them either
icon_biggrin.gif
and your's Don, look Great too!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The recipe called for 4 lemons but didn't say what to do with them, seemed like a waste so I only did 2. I will say, I squeezed a half on the chicken I ate. It did add a ton of flavor and wasn't too sour. I think the heat may have mellowed out the citrus...or I could be full of it. Who knows? Eeker </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting.

They seemed to brown nicely, so I thought it might have changed the flavor of the juice. But since little of it was exposed, I figured most of the juice would have been unchanged. I didn't think the heat might have affected it some too.

When I make piccata, I simmer lemon slices in the broth to flavor the sauce. Its a much mellower lemon, and cuts out the sour and bitter that can come from straight juice. I'm not sure why this is, but maybe its a similar thing to your grilled lemons.

Here you go, Derek.

Boiling Liquid:
4 Cups Chicken Stock
1 Tbsp Black Pepper Corns
1 Bay Leaf

Rosemary-Garlic Sauce:
1/3 Cup Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley Leaves (packed)
3 Tbsp Fresh Rosemary Leaves
3 Tbsp Garlic (chopped)
1 Tbsp Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Fresh Ginger (chopped)
Salt to Taste
Mix all in processor until a paste is formed.

Don, That is some fine looking chicken!
imo: Grilling the lemons definitely changes the flavor. Try thick slices (instead of halves), grill, eat. They taste good, really they do!

Hey Don - Another super cook at the Cash home. Nice job. That looks great. I love doing chicken so will have to refer back to this cook and give it a try. Thanks for sharing. Bob
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Great looking chicken - and its great to see somebody else with a yellow Weber Kettle! Let's see, I've got the CI Dutch Oven, the Yellow Weber Kettle, a recipe and some thighs. I think I'm all set to give this one a try!

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
...and its great to see somebody else with a yellow Weber Kettle! Let's see, I've got the CI Dutch Oven, the Yellow Weber Kettle, a recipe and some thighs. I think I'm all set to give this one a try! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually Pat, it's the "Crate and Barrel green" Performer...A yellow kettle should be able to do this almost as good
icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:
Here you go, Derek.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you sir
shakehands.gif
... we shall
thankssmilie5.gif
and be
clean1.gif
in your honor when I make this on Saturday.

Back