The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building shelter for my WSM

Building shelter for my WSM

So my parents are replacing a ton of boards in their deck. My dad was just going to discard the 26 year old cedar but then I thought I could build a small smoker shelter with the wood.

I have seen a few on virtualweberbullet.com my question is, have any of you built any? If so, what type of base did you use? Wood, metal, etc.? I wasn't sure if I wanted to build with a door or build in 3 separate pieces (legs and base with 24" tall walls, another 24" wall section and then a roof section all held together with some pegs or something along the line. I guess I am going to start researching different designs. My goal is to use this when I do winter smokes to block the wind and insulate the smoker from the elements.

Any pics, experience, designs, etc. that you can share would be awesome! Once I decide on a design and start planning I will post pics of the progress of the build.
    18.5" WSM and the old ECB

TVWBB Fan
    http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/coldtemp.html

This page off the main website has some good examples. I built one from 2" square pvc material and used the fiberglass shower panels for the sheeting. Design mimiced the metal enclosure in the article.

Your project sounds cool. Love the idea of the reclaimed cedar. Bet you can make a cool little rustic smokeshack.
    I will offer one suggestion. When I made my WSM cart I started out with a wood bottom. (Pallet wood) but after using the smoker twice and dropping hot coals on the base from the chimney starter , I covered the base with sheet aluminum. Much safer.
    We call it "BAH-b-cue"
    Weber OTG 22.5" - 18.5 WSM - weber smoky joe... (oh,and a Sears gasser)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank H View Post
    Your project sounds cool. Love the idea of the reclaimed cedar. Bet you can make a cool little rustic smokeshack.
    I will offer one suggestion. When I made my WSM cart I started out with a wood bottom. (Pallet wood) but after using the smoker twice and dropping hot coals on the base from the chimney starter , I covered the base with sheet aluminum. Much safer.
    Awesome! I saw on google images what looked like aluminum. I bet I could find that at Home Depot or Lowes and have them cut to my specs. It will be a cool project for my dad and I. Going over there to talk plans this evening.
    18.5" WSM and the old ECB

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher H View Post
    Awesome! I saw on google images what looked like aluminum. I bet I could find that at Home Depot or Lowes and have them cut to my specs. It will be a cool project for my dad and I. Going over there to talk plans this evening.
    I saw one table on the forum where they had the smoker sitting in a metal water heater pan....I bet you could adapt that to your plan. . Post some pics when you get going. I'll be curious to see the results..EDIT: the aluminum I used was actually roof flashing.
    Last edited by Frank H; 06-23-2015 at 04:02 PM.
    We call it "BAH-b-cue"

TVWBB Member
    Hi Christopher,

I have build this one for my WSM 18.5", it works great and I have storage for wood chunks and coal . Would like to have a cover above the table and the smoker, but that must be in the next edition

I used white wood to build mine and then painted it with waterproof paint.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I know J Mac has built one as well.

TVWBB Member
    This thread has inspired me to build a shelter of my own. I've liberally stolen from Mr. Sfreiesleben's pictures with some modifications.

I plan to leave the left side open so I can take the smoker in and out from the front as opposed to lifting it up out of the shelter. And I don't know what I will use for the top.

Suggestions are more than encouraged.
    Last edited by Anthony N; 07-09-2015 at 06:20 PM.
    22" Kettle 22.5" WSM
    And now...WSGC

TVWBB Member
    The frame is completed.

Still trying to decide what to make the walls and table top out of.
    Last edited by Anthony N; 07-11-2015 at 06:10 PM.
    22" Kettle 22.5" WSM
    And now...WSGC

Looks good , man.
    We call it "BAH-b-cue"

TVWBB Diamond Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony N View Post
    The frame is completed.

Still trying to decide what to make the walls and table top out of.
    Maybe if someone has discarded/updated their kitchen counter, if it's deep enough for your unit, just cut to length for the top. Local "donation" centre might have something like that.
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast