Anyone use the "Go Anywhere" Grill?

SMalki

TVWBB Member
Before I bought a 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain I used a charcol "Go Anywhere" grill for years. We have a full size Weber kettle or two sitting around that I never grill on. I always felt the full size kettles were overkill. I cook better bbq on the smaller "Go Anywhere" Grill. I still cook on it to this day! Mainly use the "Go Anywhere" for BBQ that doesn't need to be smoked. Grillable items like veggies, hotdogs or burgers. The Go Anywhere grill is still A Great BBQ! Easily can cook for 4 people!

weber-go-anywhere-charcoal-grill.jpg

I have to admit that since I switched to the G-A for tailgating a couple of years ago my new-style (single bowl vent) Smokey Joe has been pretty neglected. The G-A does a better job with a row of brats or hot dogs.

But for home use an 18-1/2" kettle is my choice most of the time.

yup. many here cook on them. just look at the posts.

my favorite grill!

I have to admit that since I switched to the G-A for tailgating a couple of years ago my new-style (single bowl vent) Smokey Joe has been pretty neglected. The G-A does a better job with a row of brats or hot dogs.

But for home use an 18-1/2" kettle is my choice most of the time.

Ok do you have a large family or cook for a lot of people? why do you pick the kettle over the Go anywhere grill. Im asking because we have 2 kettles (old ones but still work) I never use them, and the days I did use them (like times we had a lot of company) I still wished I could cook on my Go anywhere grill. Maybe I just feel this way because I have been cooking on it for so many years and am accustomed to it. idk. What are the advantages of the kettle over the go anywhere grill aside from extra space?

Been using the Go Anywhere's since the mid 80's & There great little cooker's.

yes!

I have the gas GA and would love to get the charcoal one to add to my collection.

Years ago I had a weber gas grill, Wasn't the go anywhere but very similar style. I didnt take good care of it and it only lasted a few years. The charcol go anywhere has been my favorite grill! Burgers, dogs, and veggies. Even chicken sometimes, all great!

My GA is old enough to have the wooden handles. I like it a lot. I have seen a video somewhere where a guy had a center section made to make one into a smoker.
I think that was before the WSM 14.5 was released a few years back. Have had much more use than my moneys worth with mine. Its a keeper.

I have a Go Anywhere charcoal grill (along with an 18" WSM and a 22" charcoal grill). I use it any time we are camping or going to a park. It's easy to do both direct and indirect grilling, A few weeks ago camping in Sequoia NF with the family, we did a number of pre-made, wrapped in foil dinners - the basic "hunter's stew", of course, along with several other recipes. The best was coho salmon in lemon juice and dill weed - delicious!

the WGA was my first weber (2007 or so). I just tried grilling in the WSM for the first time yesterday and in retrospect wish I just used the WGA. it does the job great.

Something that I would really like to see for the GA would be to have some brackets and grates with a handle like a hibachi. It would make a versatile little
grill even better and more fun to use. I still miss my old hibachi.

interesting idea ! why not do a mod like that with one of those cheap hibachi's as parts ? I have several hibachis, both cast iron and stamped steel. I may do a mod just for s&g.

I'm mainly into backpacking but I recently started car camping again with the family and g/kids and all. So, I've been taking my old SJG for the ride with all my camp gear and been finding it to be rather cumbersome as far as packing it in the back of a small SUV.
So, for our next trip I ordered a GA grill. I've seen most of the mods necessary to be able to nest pretty much all the grill accessories, including charcoal into this thing and I plan on doing just that. And this will be my very first non-round Weber! :lol:

My first Weber was charcoal Go-Anywhere - about 1978 or so. It was/is a super little grill. Used it for car camping. Removed the side handles so it would take up less space in the vehicle. Beat the snot out of it... a few chips in the porcelain... Alas... didn't use it much of late (we graduated to RV). Bought new grates for it & gave it to my daughter. She, husband & newborn are doing the car/truck camping thing these days. They love it. Between that & their Smokey Joe, they have it covered.

That just gave me the thought that one could drill out the spot welds on the side handles and then use bolts and wing nuts to attach them while cooking and such. I forgot about the hibachi mod. Glad this reminded me.

Use my gas Go-Anywhere whenever we are in the travel trailer, and I just bought a NIB Charcoal Go-Anywhere off of Letgo for $25 to go along with it. Can't wait to try it out!

That just gave me the thought that one could drill out the spot welds on the side handles and then use bolts and wing nuts to attach them while cooking and such. I forgot about the hibachi mod. Glad this reminded me.

Use the cast iron grates from the hibachi ontop of the normal grate as cheapo craycort replacement ;) That's what I use anyways. Makes excellent grillmarks on the GA.

Now, how do people actually use the GA? I just mainly fill it up halfway, all coals banked to either left or right side. Always thinking I could do a direct/indirect thing that way. But I just end up grilling the satays, and never really using it as a bbq/oven. So, any tips for that? I'm more used to using the SJS as indirect cooker.

If you look at other posts here you will see just about anything can be done. Admittedly things will be on the small side.
I have done small loaves of bread, small pork roasts. You can make mac and cheese or meatloafs. So yea, just a bit of imagination can get you doing all sorts of stuff. But mostly I use mine for direct grilling. The king of the ga is a guy called phubar and he is on the brethren site. Just takes yer breath away.

Stores seem to only stock the gas ones for some rediculous reason. Start checking second hand stores and craigslist and you should be able to find a few used charcoal ones.

Back