Picked up a Summit 650

DaveW

TVWBB Wizard
Will probably have all sorts of questions about it as it needs some work and I'm not familiar with it at all.

summit%20650.jpg

Where is the right hand side of it? A big thing to look at is the front of the fire box (where the burner tubes go through). It's a weak spot and Weber neither will stand behind the product or even supply the part as I had happen on my Summit 450. I may have the part made from stainless but need to find a fabricator.

Guy I got it from was 2nd owner and had no idea where the right hand side of the grill went. Guess I'm going to have to scrounge and see if I can find a donor grill for those parts, or see about getting them from Weber.

Front part of the firebox is the first thing that I looked at. Doesn't appear to be too bad.

IMG_20150620_132424.jpg

IMG_20150620_132436.jpg

Some corrosion is just starting to set in. Hopefully I can do something to inhibit it. If it was on the frame, I'd just sand and paint. But this looks to be porcelain coated and is inside the firebox, so I think paint is a no go.

I'm kind of curious about this regulator.

IMG_20150620_132312.jpg

Not sure what that quick disconnect fitting is for. Was there an optional side burner ?

Anyways, this grill is NG and I plan on converting to LP. Would be great if anyone out there who has an LP Summit 400/600 series could post pics of the regulator / connections between the LP tank and the manifold.

You are not looking in the correct place for what I was indicating. If I could figure out how to do photos here I'd shoot a photo to you. But judging from the pics you did shoot out I'd say you want to REALLY look at the fire box just above the holes the burners poke through. You may find an unpleasant surprise.

BTW yes that quick connect is for a side burner something that would have gone on the right hand side of the grill which I'll lay odds someone sawed off. I doubt you'll ever be able to make it "whole" again sadly. I see so many grills that people just cut the sides off of. Very sad. If you can find a 450 series of this grill you might be able to salvage the other side from that frame. Hopefully you got this for free or nearly so

BTW yes that quick connect is for a side burner something that would have gone on the right hand side of the grill which I'll lay odds someone sawed off. I doubt you'll ever be able to make it "whole" again sadly. I see so many grills that people just cut the sides off of. Very sad. If you can find a 450 series of this grill you might be able to salvage the other side from that frame. Hopefully you got this for free or nearly so

Right side wasn't cut at all. It looks like the right table was either never put on, or someone removed it carefully. Looks like a U rail would go right on with no problem.

Here's some photos of the front part of the firebox where the burners go through:

IMG_20150621_144438.jpg

IMG_20150621_144432.jpg

IMG_20150621_144425.jpg

Any ideas as to how to stop things from getting worse here, other than covering it with a new piece of metal ?

Ospho rust treatment is what used to treat rust on steel salt water yachts. I would think it would work fine, then paint over it with high temp paint.

Ospho rust treatment is what used to treat rust on steel salt water yachts. I would think it would work fine, then paint over it with high temp paint.

Thanks Eric. I'm kind of concerned about the whole "Don't paint inside the firebox" thing. I wonder if that's going to be an issue here ?

Yeah it looks like mine. It's toast. It will go to giant holes in about a year. Mine started as a tiny little "pimple" hardly noticeable to complete burn though in nothing flat. I guess at this point you have to decide how you want to proceed. Someone took the whole side with the extra burner off. I seriously doubt you'll find another unless you keep scrounging CL.

Damn that sucks...

I found one of these for 150.00 locally and ALMOST bought it but then chickened out. I couldn't commit to the higher cost of maintenance or the lack of durability over the Genesis and I figured that if I ever really needed more grill space I'd just buy a second Genesis.

Man, decisions, decisions, decisions. Just priced up some parts. If I had to buy everything new, it would run me about $250 including new orifices for converting to LP. One problem is that that no one seems to have the U-rail needed for the right side.

Also, all this is contingent upon being able to stop the front of the firebox from rusting out. I scraped the rust spots down on the front and the metal still feels solid. Rust converter/inhibitor might help, but is it safe to use that inside the firebox ?

Hmmmmmm.

Don't know what to tell you especially since I don't know how deeply you're buried in the thing financially now. Sad a fine grill like that got butchered up

Don't know what to tell you especially since I don't know how deeply you're buried in the thing financially now. Sad a fine grill like that got butchered up

Oh, I'm in deep. Had to shell out $10 for that puppy :D Obviously, if I have to trash it and walk away, it's no big deal. But, with only $10 in so far, if I can restore and get 7 years out of for $300, it would be worth it.

Really the hardest thing you have to find is that side table and burner that some idiot removed

Yeah, that's the hard part to source. The other thing to consider is whether the rust converter/preventative is safe to use in the firebox, and if it will actually work to prolong the life of the front of the firebox. I'd be ****ed if I sank $300 into this thing and the front part rotted away after 1 year.

I'm assuming you're thinking about something like POR15. I'd assume once the remaining material hardens it would be safe. Thinking about getting some myself

I'm assuming you're thinking about something like POR15. I'd assume once the remaining material hardens it would be safe. Thinking about getting some myself

LM, I have no idea what I'm thinking about! This is all so far out of my wheelhouse. Eric mentioned Ospho rust treatment. While picking up some high heat Rustoleum at HomeDepot, I remember seeing a different can of Rusto that said it converts rust. I've seen POR15 mentioned in other threads but really have no idea what it is. Is that a paint ? Is it a brand with various products ?

I'm open to any and all suggestions of how to proceed.

Here http://www.eastwood.com/paints/rust-solutions.html you go. This is a link to those chemicals. I just had a guy do a minor restoration on an Infiniti QX4 that had rusted out wheel wells. He got the loose non-structural material out and treated the panels with POR15 which encapsulates and changes the rust into a ceramic like material hard as a rock. Then he built the areas back up and repainted the car. Looks great.

Hey guys!
Just picked a 650. First grill restoration ever. so kinda jumped in blindly. This post was a real eye opener. Sadly the grill (overall) is in pretty nice shape but this infamous front lower panel of the firebox is shot! (where the burners and ignitors pass through). Had no idea to look there until i ready this post. so i'm curious how everyone made out on there fixes/finds. Gosh you would think there is someone out there that would fabricate an aftermarket replacement panel for this common problem. Good news is i think i have a fabricator for the job of making a replacement. But i wanted to hear what some of the resolutions have been from you guys before i pull the trigger on that. Thanks

Back