Genesis 1000 Restoration - What is this regulator?

Kris S

My question is in the subject. I have a Genesis 1000 that I got for $30 on Craigslist. Has a funky regulator, not sure what I'm looking at and suspect I'll need to buy a replacement. Anyone have some ideas?

0614151555.jpg

Thanks!

General Restoration overview

Here's the grill itself, $30 off Craigslist. I'm restoring this as a gift to my mother-in-law, as her old grill just kicked the bucket. I've been wanting a project and a restoration looks like fun. So far I'm having a great time. I haven't been able to find the serial number - the sticker on the side of the control panel was completely faded.

Grill.jpg

Everything looks good on this end.

Stuff.jpg

A bunch of stuff... you can see the side table there. I'd like to figure out how this attaches to the frame, because there is no obvious mount that I can see. Any help?

The thirteen flavorizers are all in decent-to-good shape. I attacked these with Simple Green and some steel wool. There was still a lot of hardened black stuff left on these, and my buddy loaned me a handheld grinder and with that I was able to remove the remainder. They are still dark in some areas but you can tell they are smooth and clean now.

Some of the flavorizers are stainless and some are porcelain enameled... the porcelain ones are a bit worse off. I've read in various places in the forum that some folks decided to remove some of the upper level of flavorizers. Can anybody verify if that's a good idea?

Grates.jpg

The cast iron grates look shot - see damage above. I'm thinking of going with some stainless steel ones, part #7527, which are just under $74 on Amazon. I've read that these are easier for maintenance, and I don't have the budget to splurge on some of the more expensive ones.

I removed the burners yesterday, they look pretty cruddy and I'm thinking I'll replace them. Previous owner said the igniter was bad, so that'll need to be replaced. It didn't come with a catch pan, so there's another item to buy.

Today I'm hoping to remove the lid and firebox and get a good look at the frame. I haven't noticed and signs of rust yet, but we'll see.

Anyways, any further tips and advice are much appreciated!

I don't use my 1000LX much anymore mostly for roti work. I tried the removal of the upper bars and really didn't notice much if any difference except I did get a lot more flare ups.
I'm sure you've heard of RCplanebuyer on EBay, he makes some quality items like FBs, grates etc. I bought a set of his SS FBs for my 1000 and they were cheaper then Weber's and much better quality. Where you live if I'm right is pretty humid so you might want to skip the porcelain bars for that reason.
One of our forum brothers who lives in Australia asked me to order some of RCplanbuyers SS grates and ship them to him because RCplanbuyer won't ship out of the USA. I did and those are the nicest SS grates I've ever seen. There were three separate grates each weighing over nine pounds.

Can you take pictures of all the loose parts spread out? That would help ID what you actually have. I looks like the assembled side table is intact and it just sits on the bars to the left of the grill. Need to see more pictures to know what else you have. You will enjoy the rehab. I love my Genesis and so does my wife. She won't use my Performer or WSM but she does use the Genesis without any help from me, except when she left it on overnight and I had to deal with the empty tank. Won't make that mistake again.

Thanks for the replies. There isn't much else to photograph in that pile of stuff - thirteen flavorizer bars, the side table, and the bottom pan that slides under the firebox.

I can't believe the side table literally just sits on the frame, not secured in any way. Is there some reason for that, and is there a way to mount it?

I finished taking the grill apart and have been cleaning each piece. The frame does have a very little amount of rust. Four nickel-sized spots, each located where a corner of the firebox rested. Any advice as to how I should address that?

Sand to bare metal and then give those spots multiple light coats of high temp BBQ paint from HD or Lowes. Then paint the entire frame after prepping it.

The reason for wanting more pics is to see if you have a fold down second table or the bottom shelf. Depending on the model, the bottom shelf is either wire shelf or wood or durawood slats.

Take a look at this link for an idea of what parts are normally on a Genesis. There are obviously differences between models, but this could help. With more pics, we could id what you have and what could be missing. Also, the link should give you an idea how the side table fits.

Looking at that link, I see a few differences between my grill and Alejandro DK's. First, my lid handle is one solid piece - no openings. Second, grill has no bottom grate or wood slats. I assume that is missing. Third, I don't have the flip-up side table, though it looks as if there is a small bar with some sort of slider where that used to be.

I've got a number of parts on order: new SS grates from BBQparts (on Amazon these are $58, much cheaper than what I've seen in the $70 range elsewhere), new burner tubes (again on Amazon from same store - much cheaper at $21 than the $40 range elsewhere), a catch pan, a new igniter, and a Mr Heater part for the regulator.

I've been attacking the firebox with a wire wheel, still more work to do there, though. I have also scrubbed out the interior of the lid. I sanded down the few small rusted areas on the frame and applied an initial light coat of paint. I'm going to let that sit for a few days, then lightly sand along with the rest of the frame before repainting.

Based on what I've learned, it appears that the side table normally just sits on top of the frame, with nothing to connect it (if I'm wrong, someone please correct me, but I haven't learned anything to the contrary). I'm not going to bother with the old side table, then, and just create my own. I'm planning to build a simple frame out of 1"x1" cedar, drill two shallow 1/2" diameter holes on opposite ends of the frame where it will be closest to the grill frame, and superglue a neodymium magnet into each hole. I'll then screw cedar slats on top that will overlay the wood frame and the grill frame. This should provide some security for the new side table. Obviously I will sand and stain before assembly.

This past weekend I finished the grill. Here are some photos:

Bar.jpg

Here's a flavorizer bar after I hit it with some degreaser and a little scrubbing. After this I went over it with a hand-held grinder a buddy loaned me, with some sort of cloth-type attachment that got the rest of the crud off. You can see how clean the SS flavorizers got in the interior grill pic below.

Wheels.jpg

Here's a side-by-side before and after on the wheels. I used soapy water and 0000 grade steel wool to clean these up. Worked like a charm! The damaged wheel was the front-facing wheel, and so I switched them to put the wheel in good condition in view.

Finished2.jpg

Interior shot. I replaced the grates with new SS ones. Replaced the burners and igniter as well. Also had to buy a new catch pan. All told expenses came in just under $200.

Finished.jpg

And the final shot. I built a new handle, side table and bottom table out of cedar. Stained them with two coats of some extra deck stain I had lying around. I used 1x1 cedar deck balusters as a frame for the side table, drilled two shallow 7/8" diameter holes on the side of the frame and glued neodymium magnets (available at home depot) in there with super glue. They provide the side and bottom tables with some extra security.

Repainted the frame, the sides of the hood, and the exterior of the firebox with high temp spray paint. Used a wire wheel and degreaser to get rid of all the built up crud on the inside of the grill. Used a wire brush and degreaser to clean the inside of the hood.

All in all, fun project! Lots of credit to the various rehabbers who posted information here previously - that was great help!

Looks good, but I have to say the space between grate bars is huge. I could see food falling through that. Once you get really into that grill you might look into the cast iron grates from Weber or the very heavy well built ones from RCPlanebuyer. Once you graduate to some really solid grates you can REALLY appreciate the stuff that grill can truly do.

Thanks. I actually have my own Genesis E330 with the cast iron grates - which I love. This refurb was a gift for my mother-in-law. She's retired and loves to grill, but her 4 year old Char Broil kicked the bucket this spring, and she didn't have the money to buy a new grill. I thought this would be a fun project for me and a nice gift for her. Anyhow, getting back to the point: she's really crazy about cleaning. The "heat up to 500 F and scrape the grates" method just goes against her nature. Rather than have that argument, I got her these SS grates which were cheaper and can be sent through the dishwasher.

Well that's a very nice gift for a MIL. She must be a "keeper" ;-) Not all of them are. My first one was looney tunes (but than so was her daughter which I found out too late). Second one is a keeper like her daughter (my wife). I'm sure she'll really enjoy your generosity

Back