Low & Slow Spare Ribs on Q3200

Jeff F

TVWBB Super Fan
This cook was as much experiment as it was dinner. I wanted to see if I could maintain "low and slow" temps on my Q3200 and also see if I could give a rack of ribs the amount of smoke flavor I want in them using an A-Maze-N smoking tube. The short answer is yes and yes.

Ribs trimmed, oiled and coated with Bad Byron's Butt Rub

qribs1.jpg

Ribs on Weber Q Trivet with Roasting Shield. Trimmings on warming rack. Smoking tube loaded up with apple pellets.

qribs2.jpg

About three hours in. Temperature ranged from 250 to 275. I ran it with the center burner only, turned down to minimum. I took the trimmings off shortly after this picture was taken and chopped them up to put in baked beans. I wrapped the ribs in aluminum foil and put them back on for another hour and a half. I think they would have been better if I had not wrapped and pulled them at about 4 hours total

qribs3.jpg

All in all, I was very pleased with my Q Ribs. They were nearly as good as the best rack I've ever made on my BGE. The smoking tube surprised me with a very pleasant smoke flavor and an attractive smoke ring. They were a little too "fall off the bone", but I attribute that to the aluminum foil wrap.

They were a little too "fall off the bone", but I attribute that to the aluminum foil wrap
Good looking ribs Jeff. If you can get it, try wrapping in Butcher Paper instead of foil. You get affect of the foil wrap, but no so pronounced as foil, and you maintain your crust a bit better

Wondered if anyone else has thoughts about using butcher paper on a gas grill with the flame??
you might note that he's got his ribs on a rack and on a foil pan, not directly on the grill where flames can get to it

As long as it's shielded from the flame it should be fine. I think butcher paper is basically the same thing bakers use called parchment. It's treated with silicone to prevent burning.

As long as it's shielded from the flame it should be fine. I think butcher paper is basically the same thing bakers use called parchment. It's treated with silicone to prevent burning.
I've used the parchment paper a couple times (because I can't get food grade butcher paper) and parchment works much like foil does (too much in my opinion) I would love to get some butcher paper, that seems to be the best "wrap method" if you're going to wrap, because it doesn't blow out the crust

The responses to this thread got me thinking...

One of Kansas City's oldest and best barbecue establishments is Arthur Bryant's. I love Bryant's, whether eaten on site or carry-out. But carry-out is really something special. They build your sandwich on unwaxed butcher paper, slather on the sauce, throw the fries right on top, and then squash the whole thing into a tightly wrapped butcher paper burrito. Something very special happens inside that butcher paper between when you get your order and when you get a chance to open it. Even the Wonder Bread becomes delectable in the steamy, brothy, saucy package. Sometimes I even get the order to go, take it to a table, give it a few minutes to work its magic and then open it up. I get some weird looks, but then I also get some knowing nods....like...why didn't I think of that?

Anyway, I have mostly rejected the butcher paper wrap that I have read about here and elsewhere...but for some reason I made the A.B. connection in my head today. I am going to have to give it a try.

Melissa- Phil Hartcher has some earlier posts in the Q forum, on what all you can do using Q's as the cooker. I believe he used to demo them in Australia, so he really knows the ins and outs on what they can produce. I know that his techniques hace greatly helped me to get a lot of use out of my Q's. if you get the time, give them a look!!

Back