Refuge
Pastrami • Belgian Beer • Burgers
1143 Crane St.
Menlo Park, CA 94025

Also:
963 Laurel St.
San Carlos, CA 94070

http://refugesc.com/

A friend of mine (a vegetarian, no less) took me to this place that makes pastrami using beef navel, which is located just beyond the brisket and is the old-fashioned cut used by New York delis to make traditional pastrami. I had the pastrami sandwich with Swiss cheese and spicy brown mustard on toasted sourdough bread (I know, I know...rye bread is traditional and Refuge serves their pastrami on toasted rye, but I'm not a big fan of rye and you cannot convince me otherwise). It was fantastic, easily in the Top 5 pastrami sandwiches I've ever eaten. Moist and flavorful, super tender, cut almost as thick as lean brisket because it was trending toward fall-apart tender. Served with dill pickle spears and thinly sliced pickled onion on the side.

Totally not a cheap sandwich at $17.95, but a wonderful splurge. And a really big selection of Belgian and other beers on tap and in bottles.

Oh, we happened to visit on the second anniversary of the restaurant, thus the balloons and streamers.

NjYfSzj.jpg

bzbKWYP.jpg

rLkHY5U.jpg

q9u4xOV.jpg

l5Z95HG.jpg

5wzcKOy.jpg

Update Jan. 2016: Went back for another pastrami sandwich, only ate half to save room for their popular bread pudding. Un. Be. Lievable. :D

8qinfQh.jpg

That's a great-looking sandwich but if the cheese is going to be that thick I'd prefer multiple thin slices so that the toasting process creates a little melting, unless the bread is toasted before the sandwich is actually assembled.

What?!? There was cheese in there? I hardly noticed with all that great pastrami! ;) Just kidding, I agree with your comment and thought at the time that the cheese could have been more melty.

I'll be there (again) on Thursday next week for a "meeting". For those of you who don't fancy Belgian beers, a (very) short walk away you will find the Ale Arsenal which can help you whet your whistle as you please!

Nice pics, Chris!

Rich

Back