Could Not Resist

THyde

TVWBB Guru
So it's clear I have sailed right over the edge into Weber Restoration Wonderland.

I could NOT pass up this unit. Picked it up for $25 today during lunchtime. WOW!!!

There are no flavorizers, all the wood needs to be replaced, but the guy claims the burners work, and from what I can tell the frame (and the whole grill really) is in pretty good shape.

Of course, it's dirty but who has ever found a clean used grill before?

I'll be taking my time with this one (just completed a Genesis Silver B) since I have the other grill to cook with.

Once this project is completed, it'll be time to decide which grill stays, and which one goes. I have a feeling the red one will stay, but let's see. Here are "before" pictures, before I even clean it:

003.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

Bob I agree, it was a great find!

It's already totally apart, and unlike the Genesis Silver B I just restored, this one has little to no cart frame rust, and all of the cook box bolts came out, so no drilling!

This one's going to be the full-time grill, I'll use the GSB while I fix this one up, but since it's in such great shape already (just really dirty and needs a few odds and ends) it shouldn't be long before this one is on the deck and the GSB is on Craigslist!

Boy , all the metal looks really good. I think when you get done that will be a jewel. Nice find.

If you weren't so far away I'd come over and steal it. Great score, make sure to post pictures.

That is definitely my favorite grill design. Red with the wood just looks awesome. I actually found an abandoned Silver B on the side of the road last week...took the hood off and stuffed it in the Prius. Going to paint it Baltimore Orioles colors and give it my cousin. Hard to stop after you get one...

I've already replaced the wood on the side table and the other side table, the one that pulls up. Used oak. I'm going to make this one my keeper, and sell the Genesis Silver B I just restored.

I'll take some pics of the wood when I get done with the bottom slats.

Again, since I've got the GSB there's no hurry for this one, and it's in much better condition than the B was when I picked it up.

The metal on the frame is in excellent condition, and no bolts broke during the disassembly. The plan at this point is to get the wood restored, then treat it somehow (any suggestions on waterproofing oak?) and then paint the frame, the side caps and cook box. Already have the paint, just need the time ... isn't that always the truth?

Thanks for the support all!

Slainte!

Last edited:
Nice pickup. You might find that you'll keep the Silver B as well. Can't have too many grills ;) I just had a small little cookout on Sunday and had 4 cookers going. 2 Genny C's, my Smoke Hollow 44 (used as outdoor oven) and my 6 burner Brinkmann Pro.

This one's going to be a slow-go.

Here is the repaired wood:

010.jpg

I've yet to determine what shade to stain it, and how to protect the wood. I'll have to take each slat out one at a time to treat them, and while that is taking place, the metal parts will be scrubbed well and repainted. The metal on this grill is in excellent shape, very little rust, and I'm sure I can scrub it all down and repaint it. There are a few rusty bolts here and there on the frame, but by and large it's in really remarkable shape.

Weber informed me today that it is a 1995 Genesis 1000, by the way.

More to come!

It's not a 1000 there would be no side burner as the frame did not extend far enough on the 1000. I think the long frame grill with side burner was a 3000. Also it looks like the side burner is missing the stainless steel cover

Bob, it's red oak molding, 1x2 (which isn't actually a full inch nor a full two), I brought the best-condition slat I had to the hardware store to source the wood.

Here is a picture of two stains, "red mahogany" and "dark mahogany" next to a red cooler to simulate the red top of the grill.

Opinions?

Personally, I like the contrast from the dark mahogany stain, but could consider using the red mahogany.

Ideas?

Here are the stains on scrap pieces of oak:

001.jpg

LMichaels: OK, perhaps it is a 3000 then. Even better! Yes, it is missing the stainless steel cover for the side burner, but stay tuned!

Frank: Yes, the metal is in remarkable condition. Honestly, I don't know how it's possible. Twenty years old, and almost no rust! And I live in Pennsylvania! The previous owner almost certainly knew very little about maintenance of metal items in general (he asked me some questions about the frame on his Rav-4) and I'm no expert, but I know rust when I see it. There's grease that masquerades as rust on this grill, but very little actual rust.

Rich Dahl: Come on over. You can try to steal it, but bacon-wrapped steak says you get tired and fall asleep instead.

James: Yes, I know. I'm only kidding too.

Steve: Awesome! These grills, for some reason, are addictive. I don't know why. Just wait, I'll be putting up some serious retro perfection with this one in short order!

DaveW: I know, I know. It's not even thoroughly cleaned yet, and I'm thinking, "What am I going to do with the Silver B?" Nobody would pay enough for me to part with it (I put probably three hundred into it, including the initial purchase) and instead it will probably make either an excellent backup or a really nice gift to my brother and sister-in-law.

OK, I think that's everyone.

Thank you for watching, you all make my totally insane project worthwhile! Almost nobody in my real life appreciates this kind of stuff!

Slainte!

Tim

I think either one of those colors looks awesome with the Redhead. Im hoping you have better luck with the red oak than I did. i used it on a work table on my barrell smoker 'twice' (foool me once shame on u....well you get the drift) and i couldnt keep it from 'checking' and warping. I asked at the hardwood dealer and he recomended, redwood, cypress or cedar. so i went with what he had a suitable plank of at the best price, cedar 8 ft plank for $8. i hope i can keep them staight this time. your gona have one great looking grill there! Thats actually the model Im looking for now for my next project :)

Last edited:
Bob, thanks for the wood advice. I guess time will tell whether this oak warps or not. Whatever the original wood was it didn't warp, but it most certainly rotted.

The cook box has been in a plastic bag with oven cleaner sprayed all over it overnight; later when I get some time it'll be time to clean that out. Getting close to the metal paint!!

Rich Dahl: Come on over. You can try to steal it, but bacon-wrapped steak says you get tired and fall asleep instead.

Okay, you got me with the bacon wrapped steak. You cook me the steak and I won't steal the grill...well maybe:cool:

How did you clean the lid to get the inside like that?

I got the same look on the inside of my hood. I personally used lots of oven/grill cleaner and a lot of scraping with a putty knife to get off that really thick layer of carbon deposits, then some bar keeper's friend and steel wool to finish things off. It's amazing how nicely the inside of these hoods will clean up with a little work!

Back