Howdy from New Jersey!

Aaron Tex

Greetings everyone!

I am Aaron, a misplaced Texan stationed in New Jersey, and now the proud owner of a WSM 18". I have smoked a lot in other various smokers, but after a couple cooks in the WSM, I'm converted!

I just had a couple of questions, do people use the bottom rack or is it just top rack cooking exclusively? It seems to me you could possibly do some wings on the bottom rack...I'm open to any thoughts. Lastly, knowing the can of worms this could open, I am open to any suggestions for general operation of the WSM. Tips, tricks, and hints are welcomed!

Love the board so far and can't wait to start contributing myself.

Aaron
:blackkettle: 22" :wsm22: 18"

First, welcome to the forum. It is a great place to learn and to help others. From your post, I assume that you are in the military. If so, thanks so much for your service to this great country.

As for the bottom rack, I have done two pork butts on the bottom rack and a whole packer brisket on the top rack all at once. Whatever works for you. As for tips and tricks, click on the link at the top of the page that says "The Weber Virtual Bullet". Chris has many great articles that will give you a great place to start and learn about the WSM.

As for contributing, you could start by posting pics of your cooks. We love that here. And don't worry if your cooks aren't perfect, because we all have bad cooks from time to time. That is how we learn. There is at least one current post about a failed cook and the poster is someone who has consistantly good cooks and helps others here besides. Congrats on that new WSM, you will love it.

Welcome Aaron. I second what Bob said. There is a wealth of info on the site and there are some great people here to offer advice and help.

Aaron, welcome, and thank you again for your service. We all appreciate it, and I'm not just talking about the Weber fans here. I mean all of us Americans!

New Jersey isn't so bad! Having traveled to the great state of Texas many times (one of my favorite of the fifty), I can understand potential differences in way of life, but let me just say, born and raised in New Jersey, and there isn't another state like it -- bar none.

Go down the shore, go to the city, go to the Delaware River, go into the pines. It's all under two hours, and you can start a smoke and be home in time for dinner for any adventure you may choose ...

Slainte!

Welcome to the forum Aaron. I do use the bottom rack quite often and as for tips and tricks, you will always find the answer your looking for here and dont be afraid to ask a question as everyone is very friendly and willing to help.

Back