I'm looking for a used gas grill. What searches should I be doing on craigslist?

PaulReserve

I'm trying to find a medium sized gas grill, nothing fancy. I don't know what models to search for and I don't know if I'm finding a deal when I'm looking at them. Any tips?

Check out the Q3200. Compact design, rave reviews from most every owner, and Weber quality and backing. Lots of threads here and good info on Weber's site and on YouTube.

If I was in Minneapolis and looking for a grill, I'd give this guy a holler and see if it's still available.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/app/5031249263.html

Anyways, Paul, what do you mean by "medium sized grill" ? A 2 or 3 burner Genesis or Spirit, or Q series like Jeff recommended ? Do you want a side burner ? Natural gas or propane ? Open or enclosed cart ? Fixer upper / rehab project or ready to go immediately ? Something older / kind of retro ? Newer model ?

Paul, not sure if this is tho tip you are after, but when ever I look for webers on CL, I just use the key word 'Weber'. Now, that will give you gas, charcoal, and carberators as well. The thing is, a lot of people list their grill as simply 'Weber Grill for sale'.not as a gas or charcoal. By simply typing weber, it is all encompassing. Also, try typing in 'Webber' as some people don't spell it correctly. Not many listed this way, but it helped me score on a sweet Q-200 for $50 a while back. I'm sure it was in my favor that few if anyone else inquired about the grill due to the misspelled listing. Good luck, and let us know how your search turns out.
Tim

How much would that grill be worth with new internals? I'm thinking a two burner would be fine. I wouldn't know what to do with 3 burners. I don't need a side burner. Propane. Doesn't matter if it's an open or closed cart. I don't mind putting in a few parts. I don't want to do any panting.

I went and checked out this one https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/for/5015407179.html. It was 10 years old. The flavor bars, burners, and grate weren't going to be good much longer. When I tried to haggle with the guy he got huffy and said I was wasting his time. I said have a nice day and walked off. I'm thinking there will be more grills on the market after fathers day.

I currently have a q100. It's been fine for a number of years now but the burner needs to be replaced. It's too small if I'm cooking for more then 4 (which isn't often) and I don't like how often the canisters need to be changed. I'd rather have a stationary grill with a 20lb tank. I also don't like that it's single burner and has no warming rack. That being said, I could still replace the burner if you don't think it would be much of an upgrade buying a new grill.

Paul, price depends on your local market. Some places, used Genny's go for cheap, other places they are sky high. The grill you linked to is a Weber Genesis Silver A and it would have to be near flawless for me to even think about paying $175 for it.

If I were you, I'd be looking for a 3 burner Weber Genesis with or without a side burner. Reason being is that there often isn't much of a price difference and what's it going to hurt if there's an extra burner tube or a side burner ? There might come a time where one or the other might come in handy.

When picking up used Webers, I look at what the total cost would be. For a 3 burner with side burner (Silver/Gold C), pristine condition is worth about $250 to me (with tank). On a particular grill, each thing that I would have to replace lowers the price I am willing to pay. For example, new flavorizers would cost me about $45 or so from a guy named RCPlanebuyer, so if everything else was almost perfect, I'd pay $200. If I had to replace the grates as well, that would cost me about $60, dropping the offering price down to $140.

All of the above would apply to a 3 burner (Silver/Gold B), but the max starting price for me would be $200. If I were to pick up a 2 burner (Silver A), the most I'd pay would be about $150, but again, that's if everything is in great shape and won't need to be replaced within the next 3 or so years.

As for the grill I posted the link to, if nothing needed to be replaced, it's easily worth $200. That's not counting the included rotisserie or cover.

One other thing. Don't turn away a nice grill just because it might need some painting. Usually, the end caps are the main thing to be painted and you can hit those with a can of Rustoleum high heat grill spray paint. If you are good with a piece of cardboard, you wouldn't even have to mask it off.

I would stick with a 3 burner Genesis. I was not happy with the heat output of the 2 burner Genesis and Spirit models.

I picked up a used Genesis E320 in mint condition for $175. That's a later model three burner with a side burner. I just love the thing. Also when you look at the pictures if the controls are on the side the burners run East/West if the controls are in front the burners go North/South. I prefer E/W and it's not a real problem because I don't use the side burner so I have a shelf. The N/S is nice because you get two shelves and one if you use your side burner.
Watch for rust on the bottom of enclosed grills it is a problem with them.
Also when searching use Weber and Webber when I found my new performer the guy spelled it Webber and wasn't getting any calls on it so I lucked out, a brand new never used 2011 blue performer for $100.
Good luck with your search.

Back