Can my propane hose be bad?

W_Stewart

TVWBB Fan
My Q200 seems like it is putting out low heat. I see a 1/4 to 3/8 tall blue flame all around but generally don't feel I get good searing performance. I keep my burner tube clean and obstruction free. Today I was chatting with the grill guy at the local hardware store where I bought it back in 2007 and he suggested a new hose. I had asked him if the regulator could be bad and he thought not, and instead said he seems more hoses go bad.

A hose bad? I get a complete failure/blockage/leak but not sure what kind of partial flow failure I could be having. Is this common (before I go by a new hose?)?

The regulators on those are known to go bad all the time. I would try removing the hose and using a small bottle. Also look at the Q forum sticky for instructions on making sure the overflow valve isn't tripping.

That being said, my q100s don't have exactly huge flames when running perfectly. They still get super hot.

My Q200 seems like it is putting out low heat. I see a 1/4 to 3/8 tall blue flame all around but generally don't feel I get good searing performance. I keep my burner tube clean and obstruction free. Today I was chatting with the grill guy at the local hardware store where I bought it back in 2007 and he suggested a new hose. I had asked him if the regulator could be bad and he thought not, and instead said he seems more hoses go bad.

A hose bad? I get a complete failure/blockage/leak but not sure what kind of partial flow failure I could be having. Is this common (before I go by a new hose?)?
Before you buy a new hose, do you have access to a compressor? Try blowing it out. Regulators do go bad, however you can sometime fix them too. Buy a can of that "dust spray" that you use to clean your keyboard and use it to blow into your Regulator. There isn't enough pressure to in those cans to ruin your regulator, but if you used a compressor on your regulator.....well you got fishing weight now, LOL

Try using a small 1lb bottle. If the grill works fine than it's the hose if not the regulator. For the life of me I cannot figure what can go bad in a regulator but the Q2xx series seems to have them go bad a lot. I think the one on mine is failed too. It's the only thing that pi$$es me off on the Q2xx

Try using a small 1lb bottle. If the grill works fine than it's the hose if not the regulator. For the life of me I cannot figure what can go bad in a regulator but the Q2xx series seems to have them go bad a lot. I think the one on mine is failed too. It's the only thing that pi$$es me off on the Q2xx

What were your symptoms when it failed?

I have replaced a regulator or two in my day. Not a hard fix at all. Let us know if the cleaning works.

I really won't be able to do a good test until my new burner tube shows up. My old one is from 2007 and the holes have become irregular after cleanings every couple of years. I'll have a new grate and new burner tube by next weekend and will check with a nice ribeye or t-bone. Unfortunately the burner I bought off amazon appears to be on a slow boat from katmandu. I missed that it didn't have Prime shipping.

I checked my hose. I'm not sure how good a test this is because the hose actually has a schrader type valve in it on the regulator end that I assume has to be depressed when you screw it in for the gas to flow. So removing it and seeing if air flows freely isn't easily accomplished.

I did screw a small tank on and it worked the same - same irregular blue flame. Stronger on the far side, weaker nearer the regulator side. I think that must be due to the efforts needed to clean out the holes over time (had to use a tiny drill bit sometimes). I probably have some holes bigger than they should be, hence irregular gas flow and irregular flame. That's my theory anyway. Problem is it has always been weak so current issues don't explain my experience over time.

I'm aware of the need to let the unit sit a minute after first screwing on or opening the tank valve to ensure the overflow valve isn't tripping.

Back