Smoked booze?

DBWallis

TVWBB Super Fan
Has anyone tried smoking booze? I'm thinking of trying some gin and perhaps some bourbon, and I'm looking for any advice or experience.

I posted another thread below about smoking lemons and making whiskey sours with them, and that was quite a success!

I'm thinking a smoked gin martini would be awesome.

Don't most people just add the wood to the fermenting process? I would think you would half to cold smoke it to avoid evaporation. Maybe an A-MAZE-N pellet rig would work. Im sure you would half to filter it once you done. Sounds fun. Let us know how it works out

Has anyone tried smoking booze? I'm thinking of trying some gin and perhaps some bourbon, and I'm looking for any advice or experience.

I posted another thread below about smoking lemons and making whiskey sours with them, and that was quite a success!

I'm thinking a smoked gin martini would be awesome.

Rita posted an idea on smoked ice cream - you might be able to smoke a diluted liquor / water mix & then stiffen it up so you don't evaporate away the alcohol... smoked cubes??? I dunno :)

Post if you do it though

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?53329-Smoked-Ice-Cream-!&p=585737&viewfull=1#post585737

The above technique looks like a winner! An A-Maze-N smoke generator would be a good start. I've discovered that you can get a whole lot of smoke flavor pretty quickly from one of those things. Lay your gin in a pan with a cold smoke generator and check after an hour seems like a fine first attempt.

The above technique looks like a winner! An A-Maze-N smoke generator would be a good start. I've discovered that you can get a whole lot of smoke flavor pretty quickly from one of those things. Lay your gin in a pan with a cold smoke generator and check after an hour seems like a fine first attempt.

Hmmm... That reminded me of a technique I've used in the past that might work here.

While trying to smoke some meat on my gas grill, I tried using a cast iron smoker box sitting on top of an electric charcoal starter to generate a reasonable amount of smoke. That worked well, at least as far as making smoke is concerned, without generating too much heat.

Now I'm wondering if I could use that in my WSM as a "cold" (warm?) smoker for gin or bourbon?

According to legend, Rauchbier was created at the Schlenkerla Bierstube in Bamberg, Germany. There are many other rauchbiers in the area. I worked in Bamberg for 5 years. Been there many times. I even brew my own Rauchbier at home. :)

DBW: Homebrew stores sell French oak chips for "baking" and adding to beers for the added flavor. It's probably nothing more than any other oak wood. I would think a cold smoke would be the way you would want to go without risking the loss of evaporating alcohol.

Back