Genesis Redhead in need of restoration

LeoP.

TVWBB Member
Got this Genesis 1000 tonight, have no clue on year but it is identical to the one my father had in the early/mid 90's. According to the previous owner it's works fine. I plan on restoring it as others have and use it as my outdoor oven/event grill. The frame is in good shape with the cooking grates but the flavor bars are ruined, the handle is broken, the sparker is ruined and the bottom drip pan holder is rusted out. I am going to clean it up tomorrow and see what I need to order to get it in good working order. :redgenesis1:

Coming home:

Needs one hell of a clean up:

Good grates and the original handle:

I have no clue how one breaks the handle on this:

Need knobs:

Flavor bars fell apart on the ride home:

Any ideas on year???

Last edited:
I assume you looked on the right side of the frame for a serial number?

It certainly looks like mine, which is a 97 Genesis 1100. Except, am I noticing that the frame is made to hold that wire bottom shelf? I would guess that makes it more recent since mine has wood shelves.

Pretty grubby -- it will be great to see how it cleans up.

I did you can see where the sticker was but it's gone. Did they stamp them anywhere or just the sticker?

Spent some quality time today with my Karcher and a scrapper. What I discovered is my middle burner is gone and the original grates were not worth saving. So here is a list of what I need to buy in order to redo this bad boy:

Burners
Flavor bars
Cooking grates
Bottom drip tray
Drip tray rails
Drip pan with hanger
3 knobs
Igniter assembly
Caster wheels
Wood for shelves

The inside after being blasted, long way to go:

Last edited:
For the flavorizer bars, I'd get some from RCPlanebuyer. They are better than OEM (thicker) and cheaper. You can find him on Ebay or I can PM you his direct contact info.

There are other cheaper bars that you can purchase from some sellers on Ebay, but I don't know if they will last as long. It comes down to a question of cash flow versus value, and how long you anticipate keeping the grill. If you'll have it for a long time and only want bars that last a real long time, go with RCPlanebuyer.

Might as well get a set of grates from RCPlanebuyer also. I got a set for my brother's Summit (the ones after Weber started using cheesy stamped grates) and the ones from RC are da bomb. Only 1/2 the price of OEM Weber too

I plan on buying the grates and flavorizer bars from rcplanebuyer as I want good stainless ones. Does this model Genesis have bars just horizontally or vertical too? I've seen bars set up both ways.

For now the Genesis is safely tucked away in my workshop out of the weather waiting its turn to be redone. First I have to finish my Buddy 125 up that is before it on the project list:

I believe only horizontal bars. Looking at the picture of your cookbox, there are no ... nubs in there for the vertical bars.

Still trying to get to the Genesis. I've done a few things on it and have ordered a bunch of replacement parts and got a side grinder for getting rusted bolts cutoff.

I have a SS grill grates Weber 7527 that I would like to sell.

I've used it once and has been tucked away.

I am wanting to get a cast iron grill grates 7526.

If I'm not mistaken, I even have my used burners too that I replaced. They might still be ok.

Let me know if you're interested.

Back