1998 Genesis 2000 rehab

TGreene

Some before & after pictures of my "new" 1998 Weber Genesis 2000 grill. I came across this forum by accident and was inspired to do a rehab after seeing some of your postings. I bought this one a few weeks ago on CL in Daytona for $25. Totally dis-assembled it and discarded all the old worn-out components. Scraped out the insides and removed the rest of the greasy buildup with some oven cleaner. I repaired and re-painted the frame and dis-assembled the lid, painted the end caps, and polished the red porcelain with polishing compound and cleaner wax. I purchased new Weber cast iron grills, SS Weber burners, 16 gage SS flavorizer bars (Ebay), a new warming rack, and a new Weber igniter assy. I replaced all the old 1x2 wood slats with 1x4 red cedar from Home Depot and finished them with 3 coats of teak oil. Fabricated a new lid handle from red oak and installed a universal rotisserie. I broke it in over the weekend grilling some marinated chicken breasts and pork chops, and the results were amazing. I will end up having about $225 total in it plus my labor. I think it's pretty cool.....very retro, and I like the idea of recycling and saving some serious cash compared to buying a new one. I'm keeping my eyes open on CL for my next project.

That looks awesome -- great job.

I did cedar and teak oil too, but with a couple of coats of spar urethane on top.

How did you do your Weber emblem? I painted mine and sanded the top layer with my Dremel, but I'm afraid it left the metal looking weird.

Kelly: I painted the whole emblem with black semi-gloss 1800 degree BBQ paint, let it dry overnight, and then placed 150 grit sandpaper face up on a flat surface and rubbed the emblem in a circular motion to remove the paint from the raised surfaces.

Very nice! You'll get a lot of great cooks with that grill. I've got the same one I bought new in 1999, sure is nice to see so many people restoring the 1000 -5000 grills.

I'm loving it so far. Used it for the 2nd time this afternoon. Up to temp (500 degrees) in 10 minutes. Grilled some mahi-mahi, tuna steaks, yellow squash, and some sweet corn. Everything turned out fantastic! Next time I will post some pictures.

Fabricated a new lid handle from red oak.

Could you elaborate on this? I'm going to be fabricating a new handle that will look just like yours - no slots or anything. I note that my original handle is just a smidge narrower at the point where it connects to the lid itself. How did you go about shaving off that bit of wood?

Kris, I'll chime in here and say that for me, using 1x2 red oak, I had to grind a little off the back side of each handle end. I removed material from the rear side so it's not as noticeable. I used an angle grinder, but I don't have wood working tools, just a circular saw jig saw and a drill, all hand-held. Therefore, the angle grinder was about all I had that would do the job. I didn't worry about taking too much off, because when you bolt the handle back on, there is room, meaning the metal will bend in and hold on to the wood, so you can take off a little more than you think without any ill effects. I wanted to leave room for treatment coatings without having to force it in.

I've already reached out to a buddy to see if he can put me in touch with someone to re-do the handle like the original, with the slats and all, but for now the handle is OK (not perfect). Here's a picture:

006_1.jpg~original

All that being said, I am quite sure that TGreene had a better way to do it, after all I have no idea what I'm doing and am using the wrong tools!

Good luck!

Kris, I'll chime in here and say that for me, using 1x2 red oak, I had to grind a little off the back side of each handle end. I removed material from the rear side so it's not as noticeable. I used an angle grinder, but I don't have wood working tools, just a circular saw jig saw and a drill, all hand-held. Therefore, the angle grinder was about all I had that would do the job. I didn't worry about taking too much off, because when you bolt the handle back on, there is room, meaning the metal will bend in and hold on to the wood, so you can take off a little more than you think without any ill effects. I wanted to leave room for treatment coatings without having to force it in.

I've already reached out to a buddy to see if he can put me in touch with someone to re-do the handle like the original, with the slats and all, but for now the handle is OK (not perfect).

All that being said, I am quite sure that TGreene had a better way to do it, after all I have no idea what I'm doing and am using the wrong tools!

Good luck!

Kris: I did the same thing as THyde.......the new piece of red oak was .750 thick, and the old one was .700 thick. I don't have any real wood-working equipment either, so where it fits into the lid, I scribed a line on the back side of the new handle and used an angle grinder to remove material from each end until it fit into the slots. I then transfer-drilled the holes using the old handle as a template, sanded it down and rounded all the sharp corners, and applied 3 coats of polyurethane before installing with the old bolts. It would be nice to have the slots in it for the original look, but the new one looks good and is functional, so I will leave it like it is for now.

help!

Some before & after pictures of my "new" 1998 Weber Genesis 2000 grill. I came across this forum by accident and was inspired to do a rehab after seeing some of your postings. I bought this one a few weeks ago on CL in Daytona for $25. Totally dis-assembled it and discarded all the old worn-out components. Scraped out the insides and removed the rest of the greasy buildup with some oven cleaner. I repaired and re-painted the frame and dis-assembled the lid, painted the end caps, and polished the red porcelain with polishing compound and cleaner wax. I purchased new Weber cast iron grills, SS Weber burners, 16 gage SS flavorizer bars (Ebay), a new warming rack, and a new Weber igniter assy. I replaced all the old 1x2 wood slats with 1x4 red cedar from Home Depot and finished them with 3 coats of teak oil. Fabricated a new lid handle from red oak and installed a universal rotisserie. I broke it in over the weekend grilling some marinated chicken breasts and pork chops, and the results were amazing. I will end up having about $225 total in it plus my labor. I think it's pretty cool.....very retro, and I like the idea of recycling and saving some serious cash compared to buying a new one. I'm keeping my eyes open on CL for my next project.

** I'll be restoring my SAME year weber!! Q: the side table has only 1 bracket to hold the wood slots....do i need to buy the whole new durawood work table #3627 or do you have a trick or recommendation for a bracket to use? thx!!!

I just installed the first one on the underside of the wood slats first, then drilled through both from the end side of the slats second.

thx...and...when side tables/bottom shelf was completed, did you glue or bolt to frame? or do the tables/shelf just lay on frame? if they just lay, are they secure?

Back