Smoke day shall live on - first attempt at low n slow babybacks :0)

CJohnstone

TVWBB Member
Howdy fellers n gals!

So today I'm trying to hand at my first smoke. Going for 2 racks of babybacks. Even managed to remove the silver skin with no problem. Spiced up with some Deep South brown sugar mix.

And went for a 2x2 snake setup with weber long lasting briquettes and pecan wood chunks to boot.

Will continue to update throughout the day. All going well we will have some smoke Chinese chicken drummers to go with the feast :0)

Update:
2 hours gone! Ribs are now in foil wit some brown sugar added and apple juice. Weber is still running a little hot which I'm putting down to being quite new. Probably could have got away with 2x1 snake. Couldn't get a picture of the 2 hour mark due to the little one being put down for a nap. Chicken has been seasoned and the dogs are enjoying the smellllll.

Almost there, 20mins or so of saucing and there coming off :0)

Last edited:
You should try to keep a uniform temp throughout. I don't normally have a problem keeping the temp up if I have adequate fuel. You should think about keeping a log of your cooks, this will help you for future perfection.

I'm starting to think I didn't have enough smoke. Doesn't seem to be a really good bark on the outside like I see a lot of other people get.

Will that start to appear now we're in the final hour or so of cooking?

All in all everything turned out well. Chicken was the star of the show! Ribs closely behind. It could have done with a little more smoking and another hour in the foil I think but good learning curve.

Amazing how much food you can prep on a 22" kettle :0)

Everything Looks AWESOME Craig!

Great Lookin' Cookin'!
Wonderful Colour on those ribs!
t2823.gif

It all looks mighty tasty and your going to get so addicted next thing you know you will have another kettle and a WSM.......lol........

Haha thanks guys. Not going to pretend the ribs were as I wanted but next time I will Cook them for longer. I went with a 2-1-1 and it just wasn't long enough to melt down the connective tissue. Temp(on the lid) varied from 200-275. Flavour was awesome though! (Happy to receive any advice for ribs. I have another 4 racks of pork loin ribs which I think are just big babybacks??)

The wanted list of toys so far is: wsm, cast iron skillet, griddle and maverick.

Very much addicted hahaha

Craig all that food looks great! Nice job! Glad it turned out good for you. Keep cooking and it will get easier and easier!

i actually enjoyed myself on that last cook. Didn't get stressed at all! I think the ribs I have are more than 2lb so take longer to cook than baby backs. So next rack will be cooked 3x2x1(or until tender). Will also be using both the bend test and toothpick test as I only did them to time due to having to get the chicken on as it needed an hour before I could start grilling the burgers and sausages. 2 hours just wasn't enough at the start, there was not much bark formed either when I put them in the foil. Learning curve I guess haha.

Maybe I'll use that as an excuse to buy another kettle or a wsm hahaha

She is a cavalier King Charles. But she is classed as a clown face due to no mask over her eyes.

She did have longer hair but she is a a nightmare for rolling around in muddy puddle/stick long grass. She gets brushed at least twice a week but the knots etc were to bad to brush out behind her ears and under her tummy so she had to get a good shave this time ��

Hopefully it will grow back.

Here's an older photo:

Back