Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfect End to Smoke Day Weekend

Perfect End to Smoke Day Weekend

After filling up on brisket leftovers yesterday I wanted to make a nice Memorial Day dinner. We had some ribs in the freezer that we caught on sale a couple of weeks ago so I thawed them in the fridge and then today slathered them with mustard and homemade rub.

Prepared a fire with some apple chunks for flavor

Ribs on in the rib rack. Bone side to the fire. I use the kettle because I can do the job with about a chimney and a half of charcoal.

Daughter number 2 making some cornbread

After two and a half hours flipped them and put the Back to the front, meat side forward.

Kim soaked some corn in salt water, I peeled it and put salt and butter on it and sealed it with some aluminum foil strips.

Cooking the corn on the grill

I tried to carefully remove the ribs from the racks with two sets of tongs but they were so tender one rack fell apart. For those new to ribs, if you think you have to foil to make really tender ribs, you don't. It just takes a little patience and temp control. Also saucing is optional but my family insists on saucing so I put some SBR's on the ribs.

Plated with some steamed vegi's Kim made and the corn and the cornbread.

The ribs were tender and delicious. About four and a half hours on the grill. The corn and vegetables were really good too. Hope you all had a great Memorial Day. Have a great week and thanks for looking!

Those are KILLER ribs Robert! Outstanding.
    Weber OTG 26.3/4" Kettle, Weber Silver 22 1/2 " Kettle (2), Blue Performer, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe (49er Edition), WSM 22 1/2 ", WSM 18 1/2, WSM 14 1/2"

Probably some of the best ribs I've seen not in a show and to think you pulled it off in a kettle, that's impressive! You mentioned temp control, what temp did you maintain? When you did the swap, did you turn the whole rack or lift each out and turn? I ask, because that's when temps have a mind of their own

Nicely done, real nice
    85 78

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckO View Post
    Probably some of the best ribs I've seen not in a show and to think you pulled it off in a kettle, that's impressive! You mentioned temp control, what temp did you maintain? When you did the swap, did you turn the whole rack or lift each out and turn? I ask, because that's when temps have a mind of their own

Nicely done, real nice
    Chuck I shoot for 235-260. If it gets out of that range I adjust the dampers. It's amazing how much control you have on a simple kettle grill. I lift the ribs completely out of the racks to turn. I never lift the lid until it's time to turn.

Great looking ribs Robert.
    Food is the ultimate passion. It's neccesity and indulgence all in one

Spectacular looking ribs! Sticky good!
    Carlton Pigsmoker!
    2 Performers 22.5 WSM :18.5 WSM1996 Redhead : 2004 Summit Silver

Those are some amazing looking ribs, nice and sticky.
    2009 Performer Platinum , 1999 Genesis 1000 LX, Mini Smoker, 2009 E320ng, 18.5 , 1993 Smokey Joe, 2011 Performer Deluxe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Barb wants ribs on her Bday and I have always foiled my ribs, but seeing yours and others I'm going to give it a try with out foil this time. Hope they come out as good as yours did.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

TVWBB All-Star
    Another fine cook Robert I like using the 22 for the ribs lots of room and not much coal usage.
    "WEBER"
    2010 Black Performer,S310 2007,18.5 WSM 2010,Jumbo Joe 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Dahl View Post
    Barb wants ribs on her Bday and I have always foiled my ribs, but seeing yours and others I'm going to give it a try with out foil this time. Hope they come out as good as yours did.
    Me too, my next ribs will be in the kettle exactly like Robert's. If they come out half as successful as Robert's I'll be thrilled. Gonna have to buy a decent rib rack, but been needing one anyway
    85 78

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast