Perfect End to Smoke Day Weekend

Robert T

TVWBB Guru
After filling up on brisket leftovers yesterday I wanted to make a nice Memorial Day dinner. We had some ribs in the freezer that we caught on sale a couple of weeks ago so I thawed them in the fridge and then today slathered them with mustard and homemade rub.

image.jpg1_zpss0rfgkug.jpg

Prepared a fire with some apple chunks for flavor

image.jpg2_zpsm1rhvlsg.jpg

Ribs on in the rib rack. Bone side to the fire. I use the kettle because I can do the job with about a chimney and a half of charcoal.

image.jpg3_zpswh8vabue.jpg

Daughter number 2 making some cornbread

image.jpg5_zpsa4p88qgo.jpg

After two and a half hours flipped them and put the Back to the front, meat side forward.

image.jpg6_zpsncxyblvs.jpg

Kim soaked some corn in salt water, I peeled it and put salt and butter on it and sealed it with some aluminum foil strips.

image.jpg7_zps8vhvcv9h.jpg

Cooking the corn on the grill

image.jpg9_zps32mne3jk.jpg

I tried to carefully remove the ribs from the racks with two sets of tongs but they were so tender one rack fell apart. For those new to ribs, if you think you have to foil to make really tender ribs, you don't. It just takes a little patience and temp control. Also saucing is optional but my family insists on saucing so I put some SBR's on the ribs.

image.jpg8_zps71hbwhxq.jpg

Plated with some steamed vegi's Kim made and the corn and the cornbread.

image.jpg10_zpsobr5omeu.jpg

image.jpg11_zpsirt3ky6o.jpg

The ribs were tender and delicious. About four and a half hours on the grill. The corn and vegetables were really good too. Hope you all had a great Memorial Day. Have a great week and thanks for looking!

Probably some of the best ribs I've seen not in a show and to think you pulled it off in a kettle, that's impressive! You mentioned temp control, what temp did you maintain? When you did the swap, did you turn the whole rack or lift each out and turn? I ask, because that's when temps have a mind of their own

Nicely done, real nice

Probably some of the best ribs I've seen not in a show and to think you pulled it off in a kettle, that's impressive! You mentioned temp control, what temp did you maintain? When you did the swap, did you turn the whole rack or lift each out and turn? I ask, because that's when temps have a mind of their own

Nicely done, real nice

Chuck I shoot for 235-260. If it gets out of that range I adjust the dampers. It's amazing how much control you have on a simple kettle grill. I lift the ribs completely out of the racks to turn. I never lift the lid until it's time to turn.

Barb wants ribs on her Bday and I have always foiled my ribs, but seeing yours and others I'm going to give it a try with out foil this time. Hope they come out as good as yours did.

Barb wants ribs on her Bday and I have always foiled my ribs, but seeing yours and others I'm going to give it a try with out foil this time. Hope they come out as good as yours did.
Me too, my next ribs will be in the kettle exactly like Robert's. If they come out half as successful as Robert's I'll be thrilled. Gonna have to buy a decent rib rack, but been needing one anyway

Back